• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New buggy gearing question

motomx710

So I am building a new chassis and thinking about getting rid of my doubler but now sure if the gearing would work. It's a tube chassis Dana 60 14 bolt 4.88 gears, 44s, lq4 with tune and cam so right around 400hp roughly, th350 and np205 or if I do keep the doubler it's a 203/205. It's heavy and I hate when I gotta take it in and out. I have a set 5.38 gears laying around if that's a better option for gearing in the axles. A atlas is out of the question. Most of my riding is a mix of wot hill climbs and some slower crawling.

Re:

If you are building a new buggy, what's the reason for taking it in and out? Are you breaking parts often? Sounds like you use low and double low and are not willing to come off the coin for an Atlas. Use what you have and deal with the weight is my opinion.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

If a atlas was a option that's what would be going in it. Yes if I come across for the right price it will go on it. But it's not in the budget right now kids and family come first. I got the doubler in the chassis I got right now. I have had some very bad luck with keeping trannys in the current chassis. Some my dumb fault and the rest just bad lucky with landings and bouncing off stuff just right.

If it helps some, mine has 60/14 with 5.38s. Running a 500+hp lq4 and an atlas 3.8. Seems to work really well for crawling and also works well in high range ever since i went to a higher stall in the th350 (2700).

Tires are 43" stickies on h1s

I'm running a LQ9 with LS3 heads intake dyno 500hp with th400 4.56 gears and 205 its does okay good could used to be a little bit lower I would think you'd be fine with a 5.38 and 205

If you can get a lomax go that route. I'm 4.56 and 3 to 1 atlas. It's perfect

Best advice I can give you is stay geared high in your axles (4.10-4.56) and save your money and jump on a used atlas geared 4.3:1 when one comes up. Gear through your case always. A 5.38 60 pinion is roughly the same size as a Toyota 4.10 in case you didn't know. It creates a hell of a weak point. Just my opinion.

pholmann said:
Best advice I can give you is stay geared high in your axles (4.10-4.56) and save your money and jump on a used atlas geared 4.3:1 when one comes up. Gear through your case always. A 5.38 60 pinion is roughly the same size as a Toyota 4.10 in case you didn't know. It creates a hell of a weak point. Just my opinion.

hate to do this to myself :rolf: but mine are holding up great. been running 5.38s for probably 8 years or so with zero issues. over half of the time has been behind my lq4 (which is no slouch). been running 42s that entire time and now running 43" stickies.

that being said, while I wheel hard on the trails. I don't do any hill killing and always try not to land in throttle.

Latest posts