• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new career

jhardy

Hey guys, alright so i am pretty tired of my current job. Dont get me wrong, I love the Fire service. It is a very rewarding career. But the same ole bs and crap comes along with it. Local governments will get ya. So i have been very fortunate in having some of the best training that a man could ask for. I'm a little bit of a nerd and love the Hazmat world. So just curious if anybody knows anybody that works in the hazardous materials world, that is hiring. i would hate to leave something i worked so hard for, but if it offered a better career and life for my family then so be it. But if anybody has any leads on any type of career in the Hazmat world let me know if you dont mind.

I am a hazmat certified shipper, and related to my job, there is hazmat work in shipping companies like Fedex/UPS/hazmat certified drivers for expedited loads via companies like Panther II and Fedex Custom Critical, etc. Any sort of chemicals/materials facilities around (google). Also there should be hazmat work in power plants. If you can line up anything hazmat that is in the energy field, you should have it made for a while. The need for energy isn't going anywhere and usually pays well. I work for Siemens Energy, at an industrial generator manufacturing plant. We actually have a couple different hazmat guru guys in the front office too, but I'm not sure what their titles are, they may actually be chemical engineers.

Just do some google searches on hazmat jobs near you and start applying.

Not sure how close you are to a base where you live but, keep an eye out for a job on one of those as well. I know you currently work in government field but the repair depots operate differently and they usually pay well with good benefits.

Buddy of mine is a safety guy. Certified about every way possible. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction. I'll pm you his number if you want to holler at him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already do some Hazmat response stuff and love it. But it is not steady work, cant depend on it. Ill check into some stuff you guys mentioned. Just very frustrated at this point and feel like im spinning my wheels. Thanks for the advice

I work at a power plant for Alabama Power. All of the HazMat stuff here is done by a volunteer group of employees. We have 4 Emergency Response Teams that I'm on; structural fire brigade, medical first responder, high angle rescue, and hazmat response. The company that does a lot of our training for all of the teams is called Emergency Response Services. I know most of their guys I have met were previously fire fighters and now teach for them. They don't actually respond to any calls just go around teaching and selling equipment. Sounds like it could be right up your alley.

BenFowler said:
I work at a power plant for Alabama Power. All of the HazMat stuff here is done by a volunteer group of employees. We have 4 Emergency Response Teams that I'm on; structural fire brigade, medical first responder, high angle rescue, and hazmat response. The company that does a lot of our training for all of the teams is called Emergency Response Services. I know most of their guys I have met were previously fire fighters and now teach for them. They don't actually respond to any calls just go around teaching and selling equipment. Sounds like it could be right up your alley.

Which plant do you work at?

BenFowler said:
. I'm pretty sure that Emergency Response Team is from here in Ft. Payne, If it's the same one, I'm buddy's with Joey Gruber, he is one of the teachers.

zukimaster said:
. I'm pretty sure that Emergency Response Team is from here in Ft. Payne, If it's the same one, I'm buddy's with Joey Gruber, he is one of the teachers.

It is probably the same one, they come to my workplace for ERT training as well. In the same city, I know, but I imagine they do a lot of ERT training at several different places around AL, GA, and TN.

TacomaJD said:
It is probably the same one, they come to my workplace for ERT training as well. In the same city, I know, but I imagine they do a lot of ERT training at several different places around AL, GA, and TN.

I believe you're right. I know they do a lot of traveling training crews.

84mallcrawl said:
what a small world. I have done work at Gorgas as well

What did you do there? We are a clearing and erosion control contractor, we knock em down and grow them up again all over the state for APCO.

CHASMAN9 said:
What did you do there? We are a clearing and erosion control contractor, we knock em down and grow them up again all over the state for APCO.

I spent a couple years at Gorgas building the gypsum ponds and raising the dam on the ash pond across the river from the plant. Did several other smaller projects while we were up there as well. Worked on some interesting stuff up there.

Yellowyj said:
I spent a couple years at Gorgas building the gypsum ponds and raising the dam on the ash pond across the river from the plant. Did several other smaller projects while we were up there as well. Worked on some interesting stuff up there.

Got ya, my first job with this company was do rebuild then reclaim all the ROW's from the Gorgas plant all the way to Watermelon road in Tuscaloosa and back on the Bankhead line. We seem to be all around that area as well. Lots of work to be done there.