• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New cars or "new" old cars

Bones

That Guy
Could not think of a good thread title to this, and am daydreaming :flipoff1:. In a couple years I will be in the market for a new to me car. Current ride is 12 years old and does what I need, but will be married this year which also inherits a couple kiddos (10 and 13yo currently), not to mention my large dog. We both drive small cars (Corolla and the shitty Vitty)

Anywho...we will be saving our pennies to buy something with cash in the 20K range by the time we are ready and have our new lifestyle sorted out.

I know people with new cars and they are NICE, I would love a car that rides that well and has all those creature comforts. I do not like the price tag for one new or barely used), all the **** that can go wrong with those creature comforts, the yearly tag fees are are in the several hundred dollar range to boot as well as higher insurance costs.

So brainstorming after seeing an old rusty station wagon in a storage lot, I thought something like that in running condition, newer drive train (spit balling late model GM V8/OD trans) and some decent suspension, AC, heated comfy seats and you have a pretty bad ass ride, that might even pull 20mpg on the highway. I do not have the skills to pull this off as a build, nor do I want to try it. Donor vehicles in Iowa will be rust buckets, so I'd be looking at a driver from the south.....then I think about the salt/snow here and it will be swiss cheese in 5 years. Would I prefer something that is AWD/4x4 instead?? Again...daydreaming ****ers :flipoff1:

I'd get a highly optioned, low mileage, crew cab, 1/2 ton, 4x4 pick-up. Plenty of room for kids and a dog, and in a few years you should be able to get a used Platinum F-150 or a LTZ Z71 Chevy for a decent price. They both get pretty close to 20 mpgs. Just my $.02.

A friend of mine just bought a 2008 crew cab AWD Denali truck with 30,000 miles for $22K. Over $50k new.

yankster said:
I'd get a highly optioned, low mileage, crew cab, 1/2 ton, 4x4 pick-up. Plenty of room for kids and a dog, and in a few years you should be able to get a used Platinum F-150 or a LTZ Z71 Chevy for a decent price. They both get pretty close to 20 mpgs. Just my $.02.

A friend of mine just bought a 2008 crew cab AWD Denali truck with 30,000 miles for $22K. Over $50k new.
You completely missed the point. I do not want to buy a used 3-4yo truck

So you want to spend $20k on a ride that will be worth $3-4k when you are done? If you can't do it yourself it's going to cost a fortune to pull it off. It would be cool depending on the car you chose but you will still be spending more money on upkeep than you save on taxes. To each their own but it doesn't seem very economical in the long run. I would love to do it with a 72 or older suburban but it costs way more than you could ever imagine to turn it into a modern powered reliable ride with modern creature comforts

kmcminn said:
How many threads has this guy started about buying ****.
Well played :flipoff1: Like it says, I am pipe dreaming until the day we have to actually buy something. thumb.gif

Never said I would spend 20K, just saying that's what we will have in the bank to spend for something if we so choose. I am hoping my shitbox lasts me 5 more years to be honest, I hate buying vehicles.

yankster said:

I would go with this but I would add a Dodge 4 door 4x4 to the group :****:

The tag is only once a year and its not that bad.
My 07 2500 4x4 diesel was only $225
Then if you decide to sell or have to sell you can get your $$$$ back.

Cool idea but you would never get you $$$$ back out of something like that if it didn't work out for you.
my .02 in a hardline way :spin:

Tags up here for anything newer, car or truck will be well over 200/year most are in the mid 3's and into the 500 mark. I pay $30/year now and yes I am a cheap ass

Not buying it to sell it either, I'd hope to keep it a good long while if it was fairly trouble free.

Cost me right at 12gs to do my little toy 72 Chevy shortbed 1 ton axles 8.1 turbo 400 with a 205 12 miles to a gallon but I am running 40s and did all labor myself except body and paint but it is only regular cab so idk how well that would work hauln kids around and the old lady can drive it thanks to the realiability of fuel injection second thought that might have been a bad idea also got historic licenses so they're cheap as **** and antique insurance bad thing is mileage restriction

I'm all about the idea.... But have you priced or ever paid someone to do the kind of work you are discussing? $20k would barely get something driving and halfway decent..... Not completely redone and nice. You would be much better off buying something newer and be happy.

Buy a early 2000's tahoe, it'll haul the family. Plus You will spend a alot less then 20 and it won't have the bugs that a v8 swap car is going to come with.

When your ready to buy check out the high end suv's. You'll be amazed at what you can get a 3-5 year old infinity or the like for. Most of the high end cars are very well maintained and have all the records of maintenance. Thats what I did, and I got twice the car for half the price, plus all the luxurys. When we take it in for service. My wife has never waited for her car to be serviced. Theres always been a courtesy vehical to drive, even if it's just an oil change.

kid rok said:
When your ready to buy check out the high end suv's. You'll be amazed at what you can get a 3-5 year old infinity or the like for. Most of the high end cars are very well maintained and have all the records of maintenance. Thats what I did, and I got twice the car for half the price, plus all the luxurys. When we take it in for service. My wife has never waited for her car to be serviced. Theres always been a courtesy vehical to drive, even if it's just an oil change.
Who knows what we will do and I'll put it off as long as possible. I hate buying cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk