• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New Dodges

J.A.B

I'm in the market for a truck and looking for some opinions on the new dodges. I have a single wheel 1 ton in mind.

- Are there still delete options out there for these
- Anyone running a new dodge without deletes, how does the DPF hold up, is the EGR a bitch
- What manual trans do they use now, is it still the G56

I'm not after fuel milage, just need a truck that will handle a load. I have an 11 model DMAX now with all of the deletes and love it, I just need a heavier truck

imo, if you are just after something to handle a heavier load, you're wasting your time with a single rear wheel "1 ton". You need a dually if you're towing that heavy. how new are you looking for? yes there are still dpf & egr delete options. buddy of mine has a single rear "1ton" and it squats the truck just as bad as a 3/4 ton, the single rear isn't gonna handle the load like a daully will. another buddy didn't want a dually but after towing a 53' enclosed that was extra tall, he broke down and bought a dually.

B.DRAKE said:
Why would you wanna downgrade? :flipoff1:

I opened my mouth and now my wife thinks my truck is hers.

I was pretty deep into the beers

wizzo said:
imo, if you are just after something to handle a heavier load, you're wasting your time with a single rear wheel "1 ton". You need a dually if you're towing that heavy. how new are you looking for? yes there are still dpf & egr delete options. buddy of mine has a single rear "1ton" and it squats the truck just as bad as a 3/4 ton, the single rear isn't gonna handle the load like a daully will. another buddy didn't want a dually but after towing a 53' enclosed that was extra tall, he broke down and bought a dually.

Biggest load I pull is a 95 horse Kubota or a backhoe. I just don't like the short bed on the 2500, Ive had a dually in the past and would like to stay away from it is possible. The dodges are just a bit cheaper than the fords and I would like a manual trans. Ive had a G56 and it certainly had it's limitations.

I have every kind of truck built. The dodge 2500 will haul the least load off all. I have a 13 2500 dodge a 15 chevy gas burner and a 15 f 250 ford. When we hook the straw blower to the dodge you can't even drive it at night it's squats so bad. Stick with your chevy or better yet drive a 15 ford you get what you pay for.

The new Rams actually come with the option of the 4 link rear with the coils or a 4 link rear with air bags. I test drove one a few months ago to see how it rode compared to my 08. The one I drove had the air bags. I think that would be a really nice feature when hauling a heavy load. As far as deletes, you should be able to get a competent shop to help you there. You will probably have to sign paper work saying it is for "offroad use only".
I drive an 08 cummins crew cab short bed. Heaviest load I've pulled with it is a 20+5 gooseneck with tandem duals, my XJ, and an 800 RZR. It does well but squats it. I also have a 2" leveling kit in front (which doesn't help).
For work I drive a 2012 Duramax crew cab short bed. It hauls a 22,000 lb load like a champ. That's about 15,000 of load and whatever that heavy ass trailer weighs.

Re:

No deletes are available for 2012 and newer Dodges yet. I've been looking and waiting for about a year or so now. However if I was looking now I would buy a 2500 with the 6.4 liter. A buddy has one and it pulls great and gets great gas milage.

I've had 2 3500 duallys and both towed great. We have been buying Dodges for 3 years now and everyone seems to be very happy with them and the fuel mileage is better than the 6.7 Ford trucks both loaded and unloaded. I just ordered myself a new 3500 single wheel Limited Mega Cab so we will see how it handles my trailers. If it sucks I'll be back to a dually or scaling back on trailer size I guess.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Yes there are deletes for dodge trucks all the way up to 2015 and EFI live has beta testing in process right now for 2010-2015 also if u can't get it or find it I can't take care of it for u or send me a pm and I will give u some info :dblthumb:

I just picked up my new 2015 ford with the new turbo. The second gen power stroke has quick start like the cummins and long legs like a v 8. Seems to have a lot better fuel delivery than my 2014 had. Plus it's a platinum edition. Man at the end of a long day and 100 miles from home, you can't beat fancy!
This " my daddy can whip your daddy" can go on forever.

I definitely prefer a DRW over a SRW for towing heavy. The DRW 3500 with the air bag rear suspension would be my choice.

The 2015 2500 will get coils and a 5 link. The 3500/4500/5500 will retain leaf springs

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I have a 2012 2wd Dodge Hemi with the coil springs in the rear. It squats so bad with even a moderate load hooked up to it that it is basically unusable for towing. The Hemi falls pretty flat with a load, too. I got it with some aftermarket in-coil air bags, you can put up to 40 psi in them. It helps but doesn't solve the problem. BUT it is the nicest riding 1/2-ton I've ever driven without a load on it. Its very nice to drive on a daily basis without a load.

In contrast, my 2005 Cummins SRW tow rig is the stiffest, least comfortable unloaded ride I've ever owned. I actually have to take it easy over bumps with my wife in the truck because of her back. But once its loaded down it rides almost as nice as the newer 1/2-ton.

I've always thought a coil sprung rear with REAL adjustable air bags might be the best of both worlds. If that was an option on new Dodge 1-tons I might give it a look if I were in the market for a new one. I'm at a point in my life where I'm over using my ride as a status symbol though. I'll probably never buy a vehicle new again just because of the depreciation hit. If I had 20 million dollars I still probably wouldn't buy new. Just doesn't make sense when there are so many like-new used ones on lots that already took that hit for me.

They still offer the 3500 srw and drw in Leaf spring configuration in the rear. They just released EFI live for these truck so expect to drop about 1800 on just the tuner, plus the delete pipes etc

Latest posts