5-297 U-joints with the caps welded on
Crane Diff Cover
4.88 gearing
Detroit locker
Soon to come, truss

D44 rear
4.88 gearing
Detroit locker

I'm currently running 33x10.5 TSLs but am going to sell them at the swap meet. I do not drive my rig other then on the trail as I have a truck/trailer. I will also be installing DIY beadlocks when I install the new tires.

What I want are 36 or 37 inch IROKs but am concerned the front axle wouldn't handle it. Alternatively I could get 33 inch LTBs, or wait a month or two and get 35 inch LTBs.

The 36 and 37 inch IROKs are listed as almost the same size on Interco's website, the guys on Pirate seam to say the difference is the 37s are less "Balloon" shaped

The 33x13.5 inch LTB is smaller and cheaper, but obviously not as big as an IROK

The 35 inch LTB is not out yet (expected in April) so I would be without tires
for a month or two and who knows how much they will cost. And would the size difference really matter that much?

Does anyone have an experience running either the 36 or 37 inch IROK on a HP D30?

Last edited:
i had the 33 LTBs a few years back and loved em, they have my vote esspecially runnin a d30

I voted 36 iroks, cus that's what i have been running for a few years and with a little finesse can be handled. the only time i have busted a front shaft was because of a dry u-joint and some heavy skinny pedal action plus a little bit of "tire meet air, meet ground rolling" time:haha: plus look at karl, he has 35's and puts that thing through it's paces...

most of the time i am just crawling along, as i dont have a heavy right foot TOO often:redneck: but i have really enjoyed the Iroks.

Oh, also, the 36 iroks measure bigger than the 37s i was going to go with them but on the websites the 36's say they're almost a full 1/2" larger... plus they are quite a bit cheaper as i recall... being i had to make this decision only 6 months ago...

based on what you are running, i would run the 33" tires.
With the D30 locked up front, anything bigger and your asking for problems.

Go for the 36's I love mine!!! I am picking up a set of 39.5s when I get my longs:cool:

Wost comes to worst you break a shaft or 2. . I know you can go to pull apart with a $100 and come back with multiple inner and outer shafts for dirt cheap I think like $15 for the outers and like $20 for the inners:awesomework: :awesomework: Anyways this way you have a reson to start upgrading drivetrain down the road:cool: Natural progression throw bigger tires on to go more places then build drivetrain to take bigger tires then improve skills then get bigger tires for harder trails and so on and so forth:beer: You get the 36 or 37 you will eventually upgrade your front, especially you could scre like a waggy 44 and that thin would take the 36 or 37s no problem:awesomework:

Good luck post up what you decide on! I'll be at the swap meet selling my tires and alot of other ****:awesomework:

I ran a 35" BFG on my Dana 30 (open) for several years with no problems, but I switched it out to a Dana 44, which I would recommend that you do as well.

Interco lists the 36x13.5 as 36.8 O.D. and the 37x14 at 36.5 O.D. The widths are similar with the 37 listed as having a slightly smaller tread width. What I have heard is the only real functional difference is that the 36 has that balloon shape IROKs are known for, where as the newer 37s have a more square shoulder and a flatter tread.

As for the axle shafts with the 5-297 u-joints and the welded caps I don

If I had to choose, I'd go with the 35" LTB's but if you're after tires immediately, I'd go with the 33's---I run 'em on my Sami, and love 'em; and I've seen 'em on TJ's and they performed well!

I vote for the 33x13.50 LTBs cause I've got a set of 5 I'll sell you cheap. One is nearly new, the other 4 still have some life left in them. They were great tires for me, I ran them with my D30 no problem. PM me if interested.

35" LTBs - mostly because I want to hear some first-hand experience on them before I have to go through the same decision process. :D

35" LTBs - mostly because I want to hear some first-hand experience on them before I have to go through the same decision process. :D

You know how well mine worked:awesomework: As long as you dont DD the cruiser they'll be fine for you:awesomework:

Hell, even bald they worked better than the tsl's i had:puke:

Get the IROKs' you won't regret it. I know a guy that runs them on his XJ with a 30 front. but he has yukon shafts and a OX.

I imagine installing 96 bolts with the proper amount of torque is going to take some time. :eeek:

18V DeWalt with 24 clutch torque settings + some trial and error to find the right setting = home free :awesomework:

Latest posts