• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New to the forum- build questions/thoughts

Tubzcj

Name is Chris friends call me Tubby. I have been into Cjs for a while. Never really been into crawling but always push my rig to further than any of my buddies when on the trails. Have really been flirting with the idea of converting one of my Cjs into a moderate crawler. Biggest thing is I really enjoy driving my rig to the trails (1.5 to 2hrs away) and don't know if I want to sacrifice street ability on this rig or if I should just start on a another rig. I already have about 15k in this particular jeep.

I recently came across some axles which I thought were a good deal and have really been thinking about putting them under this rig and trying to see the thoughts from the peanut gallery. 14bFF rear with Detroit Locker 4.88 gears and a D44 with RCVs, and an ARB . (picked them up for $700 8) One of my main questions is if I decide to put on this rig, will I be ok with keeping the Leaf springs or should I go another route. One of the issues for me personally is I have always played with CJs and don't really have a good understanding of the geometry/know how on fabing anything different suspension wise. I also want to stretch it out a little. Prefer not to just drop it off somewhere to get done either, how big of a task am I really looking at??

I have several other questions but thought this one would be a good one to get started with.

Attachments

• CJ71.jpg
    CJ71.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 102
  • CJ72.jpg
    CJ72.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 108
I can answer the leaf spring question. Most all of us started out (at least the veteran wheelers) with leaf springs. Just make sure you get a good soft leaf spring. As far as stretching the wheel base, that can be tricky while keeping a stock steering box. I do suggest that if you stretch it a little, relocate your factory steering box and add hydro assist for the street driving part. Oh and welcome to Hardline.

Re: New to the forum- build questions/thoughts

There isn't a thing in the world wrong with a good looking leaf sprung CJ!

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

Hi and welcome!

Another consideration is if you plan to stretch the rear you will most likely need to take the fuel tank into consideration. Even without stretching, the 14 bolt is huge and will be tight if not impossible without addressing the tank. Also will probably need to cut your rear wheel openings.

Rear shackle location can be obtained by incorporating them into a sturdy bumper.

I may be wrong on this but if I remember correctly, I think an astro van steering box has the pitman arm facing out of the front which will make your steering a little happier if you stretch the front.

Welcome bud. Let's not sugar coat anything.. That's how it starts!! Haha for everyone I imagine. Set of axles. Then stretch it out.. Then suspension.. Then you really just gotta have wheels and tires cause u just can't stand not to.. Haha you can do it. If I can build my **** I would bet that anyone wanting to can. 2.5 years ago I wasn't changing my own oil... Since I have built ALOT of ****. Something about havin a welder makes one do that... Hours and hours of reading. And the most important thing... Ask questions!! Just be thankful you found this site. These guys will answer and help in any way possible. God wat a relief it was to find hardline. Before that I was reading for hours on pirate. Ending up wanting to shoot half them assholes. If ya have that much in that jeep.. Maybe throw the axles on another one. I do have a buddy that has one tons that drives to the trails every time. He beats the piss out of his rig too. I always think I'm gonna have to figure a way to get him back home. I personally like the feeling of knowing my rig isn't my way home (thank god). But read read read. And look at pics. My guess is that most slowly get sucked into the money pit "sport" or hobby I call it , as I did. But wouldn't change it for anything. Highly addictive I tell ya! Good luck and ask questions if needed. Better than tryin to do something and it not being right! Got some decisions to make bud. Haha. We all have made them...

Yea the astro box has the forward arm. Lot of the yj guys run them. And I've got one waiting for my waggy, soon as I drive 15 minutes to pick it all up.

I've been known to wheel a way to nice CJ on occasion :****:

Someone posted a pretty big list of leaf spring lengths/center pin locations for spring swaps/stretches a while back, might find something that will just about bolt in for the front stretch thumb.gif I'll dig it outta my pictures in a few.

google image search CJ full width swap. that will give you an idea of the direction you want to go with your CJ. also the terrain that you want to conquer; ie if you are going most places with 33" and you build a really sweet rig with 39" the trails that were a challenge with 33" will be boring

I think alot depends on what direction you want to go down the road..if keeping it streetable is the plan, then on road driving (suspension & steering) is the concern...If you want the best off road rig, then linked is the way to go. Jeeps have a huge aftermarket support Sky is the limit Alot of shops build awesome weld in and bolt on suspension kits of all types.

I had a spring over YJ for years. I loved it. Drove it to trail. Never broke the 60, then I moved to Alabama and went to RBD..... I'm not really sure what happened after that. I started losing money, I cut up a perfectly good jeep,stayed up all night for an entire winter. It's an addiction, run away while you still can. :'(

Build some bumpers with shackle mounts. Find some decent springs. Do high steer. (Astro van or Camaro steering arms work) good luck post pics. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all started somewhere.

There are some pics at beginning of my build thread.

rednecklights said:
Sell the one you have and buy one finished out the way you like.

:driving:

This makes too much sense, but love this ol gal. Might be a good option to see what kind of trade I might be able to work out.

Welcome to Hardline there are a lot of very very smart guys on here with tons of information if you are having trouble with something I guarantee some of them have been thru the same thing and figured it out !!
my buggy also is on leaf springs and does just fine it all depends on what kind of riding you want to do

If you are still running the stock width front axle in the cj you will have to out board your spring hangers to get the correct spring width for full width axles. That makes it a perfect time to do the astro van box and stretch the front out about 6 to 8 inches. I done a 60/14 bolt swap on a friend's 84 cj7 in 4 days with him helping me. It's not that bad just read everything you can and break out the torch and welder.