• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Newbie XJ please help

Benhoward384

Hey I'm a newbie to the wheeler world. This is my second Jeep. Anyway I just picked up a 92 XJ with six inch lift, long arm kit and 4:56 gears. I want to do an axle swap to a Dana 44 in the rear first. What Dana 44 should I be looking for? Or will any Dana 44 work?

rear 44s are spendy and lame:looser:. Do the Ford Explorer 8.8 read up:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

Its in a YJ but same concept with the leafs thing. People always want an arm and a leg for that cherokar dana44 when you can find 8.8 everyday of the week in Junkyards and Craigslist.... STOCK Disc Brakes, Limited slip STOCK from factory, Offered in 4.10 gears (I KNOW... you have 4.56's, so you'd have to regear...) and once again they are everywhere which makes sourcing the axle AND spares EASY....

Downsides.... Its a C-Clip axle.... Superior Axles make an elimination kit for this and you'll need a 1310 adapter for your D-line. Dont buy the aftermarket BS you can find them in the newer....round fender/body style ford rangers.

Just my 2cents but the whole rr dana 44 swap mumbo jumbo is dumb UNLESS you have a cherokee with the 44 in it already. Even then id sell it for 400 on craigs and throw in a 8.8:redneck:. BUT Im also one of the few CHEAP JEEP'rs out there so so sue me:fawkdancesmiley:

Do the 8.8, you dont even need to do the c-clip eliminator kit to be safe. I ran one with stock axles and c-clips with a detroit on 36" and beat the **** out of it for years. Then scored a deal on a Dana 70.

If you can find a Cherokee 44, great! BUT the prices for these are SOO inflated that they are now in a size competition with Hilary Clintons Ass.....this being said i would go with an 8.8, cheaper........ :cheer:

+1 for the 8.8. I generally stock the units and we sell 'em like crazy.

Yukon also has their own Ultimate 8.8 kit that eliminates the c clips, adds alloy shafts, etc. now.

Will a mustang 8.8 work?

no you want a ford explorer 8.8. buy one with disc's. also you will need to cut the brackets off of the 8.8 and buy new leaf spring mounts and weld them in. also the same with shock mounts. you will need to buy a adapter for the rear drive line.

yeah, the dana 30's are all decently tough, the low pinion ones are the weaker versions but they arent bad. It just depends on how big you really want to go long run. If you are staying cheap. they work well. And like everyone says. The 8.8 is the way to go. 44's are nice cause they are swap in but they are really tough to find under around 800 bucks.