• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

nissan doubler install

Damnyankee

Well, Last weekend i failed a rear axle bearing.
so this weekend instead of going wheeling (new curries 9" shafts are going on order next week!) I decided i need to get this done for the anual february wheeling / camping trip.

specs are
Nissan TBI V6 with lots of miles
Stock nissan 5 speed.
Stock nissan TX -10 with 3.7:1 low range (turned into a reduction box)
Stak Dana 300 drivers drop with stock 2.62:1 gears. (twin stick of course)

Overall crawl ratios will be as show below.
1to1.jpg

262to1.jpg

37to1.jpg

97to1.jpg

photo's after the weekend!

Well, here it is.

started with a wheelable vehicle saturday morning.

Out comes the transfer case.

DSCF0630.jpg

another shot

DSCF0631.jpg

a little side by side of the nissan Tx-10 and hte new stak D300

DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0633.jpg

back end of the case opened up
DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

I didn't have a proper press to get the main shaft componenets off, so a splitting maul and cinder blocks worked well.. sorry no picks of hammering.

but look at the size of the nissan stuff.

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

One of the things i had to do was use this big bearing for the main output of the crawler box. It had a oil retaining seal built into it. This was to keep oil IN the back half of the transfer case. But with the new arangement, it would have Kept oil OUT of the bearing.. so i pulled out the seal and ran it without. (it was only on 1 side of the bearing)

DSCF0639.jpg

DSCF0641.jpg

gears on the new shaft ready to go.

DSCF0638.jpg

i had to improvise a bit as this was designed for stock gears and the 3.7:1 gears covered the aft mounting holes.

No big deal, i pulled the shaft back out, installed the "adaptor?" put the shaft back in, put hte retaining clip in THROUGH the adaptor, and then pressed the seal back in.
DSCF0642.jpg

DSCF0643.jpg

DSCF0645.jpg

1 of the shifters is now gone.

so remove the spring and bearing, remove the locking Pill, and weld up the rocker.

DSCF0646.jpg

DSCF0647.jpg

crawler box complete

DSCF0648.jpg

DSCF0649.jpg

crawler box installed

DSCF0650.jpg

DSCF0651.jpg

and Stak installed

DSCF0653.jpg

here is the really cool part.

my old driveshaft, Minus the 1330 flange (just removed the flange to run a straght YOKE (changed the caps, as the 1330S is 1 1/16" cap at the closed yoke end and 1 1/8" at the "YOKE" end.

so it saved me lots of money.. no new rear drive shaft or retubing necessary

DSCF0652.jpg

started on the shifters. I could not find any brake yokes that were short or corse thread, so i bought each of these and cut htem down, and re-threaded the end from 7/16 unf to 1/2" unc. (very little space and just enough to work)

LIKE A GLOVE.

DSCF0654.jpg

DSCF0655.jpg

all in all it has taken me about 22 hours of work to get to this point.

enjoy.

I thinks the driveline is getting complicated and expemsive for no apperant reason.

its not that its complicated, or expensive.

My front drive shaft has always had "issues" its never failed, but it does bind up at the slip (cause the splines are old and work out)

I'd just like to have a new part here.

I do alot of trips where getting home is a big part (yes driving it)

My rig has alwasy been 100% reliable and I would just like to keep it that way.

Now, if you can find me a drive shaft thats longer than 36" with 1330 specials at either end.. I just may cut it down and re-weld.

I have found that 1330S are available EVERYWHERE. But i'm not 100% sure on the applications that they were used. (i know its ford, and pretty sure it was on teh 8.8 rear ends).

They are 1330S because when i had the stock nissan t-case with the SYE, I had a choice of 1310 or 1330. I went with the larger one. Aslo, My true HI9 uses 1330S u-joints.

at the end of the day, it will be cheaper easier, faster to get a new front drive line, than to change all the other crap.
Plus, i don't want to run 1310's
OR i convert all of them to 1350's.. which i just don't want to do since i have all the proper yokes for the 1330S.

:beer:

Yank, Im guessing you did a full on stak and not a case swap? Im wondering if the case swap is worth doing over a flip. How ya liking this so far?

Last edited: