• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

northerners

6-7' really?.. Our frost line is 48". But I haven't seen the ground freeze that deep in a very long time :****: :****:

Interesting thread. I've often wondered about the extra precautions needed to battle the extra cold temps and snow up there.

One questions, what is "baseboards" in terms of a form of heating? That's a new one on me. :dunno:

TacomaJD said:
Interesting thread. I've often wondered about the extra precautions needed to battle the extra cold temps and snow up there.

One questions, what is "baseboards" in terms of a form of heating? That's a new one on me. :dunno:

google "baseboard heater"

I'm in northern Michigan, it's been cold lately. Today was the warmest day in a week and we hit 9. We had -47 Saturday morning, that's windchill. I have a small log home 1400sqft, cracks in the logs, wind blows right through. I have in floor heat that's fed by an outdoor wood boiler. I crank the infloor up and pour the wood to the stove. I burn 50-65 cord of wood a winter, but the house is 72-74 all the time

dynajeep said:
I'm in northern Michigan, it's been cold lately. Today was the warmest day in a week and we hit 9. We had -47 Saturday morning, that's windchill. I have a small log home 1400sqft, cracks in the logs, wind blows right through. I have in floor heat that's fed by an outdoor wood boiler. I crank the infloor up and pour the wood to the stove. I burn 50-65 cord of wood a winter, but the house is 72-74 all the time

Damn, that's a LOT of wood. cord is 4x4x8. or 2x4x16. So 50 to 65 cords would be a stack of 24" wood, four feet high, by 800 to 1,040 feet long. Damn.

JohnG said:
Damn, that's a LOT of wood. cord is 4x4x8. or 2x4x16. So 50 to 65 cords would be a stack of 24" wood, four feet high, by 800 to 1,040 feet long. Damn.

Damn! is what I was thinking too! Sounds like a shitload of work, just having to acquire enough firewood for the winter!

Luckily I'm in the logging and tree service business. We have a firewood processor, but it's still a **** load of work stacking. I was talking about face cord 4'x8'x16". I cut mine to 22" though. It's still about 25 federal cords a year (4x4x8)

TacomaJD said:
Hmmm. Wonder if they'd be a worthy investment as a backup to central or to ease the load of central trying to heat the house when it gets down in the 20's or teens? Pretty cool idea though, never heard of them.

http://www.marleymep.com/en/fahrenheat/resources/library/lowdown-on-baseboard-heaters/

I have a propane heater like this that I use in the living room when it is getting below freezing, just to keep the living room comfortable without having to heat the whole house.

3393_large.jpg

I just roll a 100lb propane bottle into the corner.

I crack the kitchen window just a bit when I've got it burning hot (70+ in the living room...)

Carbon Monoxide scares the **** out of me :****: don't want to wake up dead

dynajeep said:
Luckily I'm in the logging and tree service business. We have a firewood processor, but it's still a **** load of work stacking. I was talking about face cord 4'x8'x16". I cut mine to 22" though. It's still about 25 federal cords a year (4x4x8)

I love the south :rolf: I have never held a snow shovel :flipoff1:

TacomaJD said:
Hmmm. Wonder if they'd be a worthy investment as a backup to central or to ease the load of central trying to heat the house when it gets down in the 20's or teens? Pretty cool idea though, never heard of them.

http://www.marleymep.com/en/fahrenheat/resources/library/lowdown-on-baseboard-heaters/
IMO, the best backup heat is anything that doesn't require electricity. I only have baseboard backup because that was the original heat and never tore it out when I installed the heat pump. But if the power goes out, all I have to fall back on is the kero burner that I use in the garage. Thankfully, most of the power lines in my area are buried so it rarely goes out. My next house WILL have a legit backup.

Beerj said:
My next house WILL have a legit backup.

My "house" has a Onan7500 diesel generator. And on a couple occasions. the shore power has gone out due to weather, and having the generator has been GREAT.

Beerj said:
IMO, the best backup heat is anything that doesn't require electricity. I only have baseboard backup because that was the original heat and never tore it out when I installed the heat pump. But if the power goes out, all I have to fall back on is the kero burner that I use in the garage. Thankfully, most of the power lines in my area are buried so it rarely goes out. My next house WILL have a legit backup.

They just ran natural gas line through my front yard and on down the street about a year ago. One day I want to tie on to it and have at least one 5 brick wall heater in the house and one for the shop as well. Right now the shop is heated with a dual burner tank top heater on a propane tank. Does pretty good considering my shop is not insulated.

Just to add a little more info on heat pumps they way they get by in low temps here is the emergency heat aka heat strips ( they burn a ton more energy) which is all my trailer has!

When I build my house I'm going to have a whole house generator no doubt since it will be propane will probably have some propane appliances also! I ran my water line ~24" to go that extra depth for temp and load protection.

al1tonyota said:
Just to add a little more info on heat pumps they way they get by in low temps here is the emergency heat aka heat strips ( they burn a ton more energy) which is all my trailer has!

When I build my house I'm going to have a whole house generator no doubt since it will be propane will probably have some propane appliances also! I ran my water line ~24" to go that extra depth for temp and load protection.

Yessir. When I've used that feature I've literally seen my power bill rolling like a gas pump!

JohnG said:
I love the south :rolf: I have never held a snow shovel :flipoff1:

This is strait bullying right here... if you weren't the mod, I'd be reporting you! :ban: Lol no but really you suck, if I knew I could make what i make here in the south I'd pack up my family and do it. :****:

Re: Re: northerners

dynajeep said:
This is strait bullying right here... if you weren't the mod, I'd be reporting you! :ban: Lol no but really you suck, if I knew I could make what i make here in the south I'd pack up my family and do it. :****:
Man we poor as all hell down here yall better just stay up there.......8)

I got a pic the other day from a good friend of mine up north. Looked like about 5 foot of snow piled up next to his sidewalk. Asked me if I had fired up my snowblower yet this year? I don't think I have ever even seen one for sale? :dunno: