• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

November 17th--Comment & Pic thread......

I was so sad. I made it out there to the trail head and had to stop because I couldnt find my discovery pass which i have never taken out of the Jeep. Ohh well, I'll have to make the next one. I saw some sweet rigs while I was up on Reiter Road though!

I was so sad. I made it out there to the trail head and had to stop because I couldnt find my discovery pass which i have never taken out of the Jeep. Ohh well, I'll have to make the next one. I saw some sweet rigs while I was up on Reiter Road though!

Ron really wasn't enforcing it nor was the sheriff who was there also--they did enjoy watching the rigs though.

Ron really wasn't enforcing it nor was the sheriff who was there also--they did enjoy watching the rigs though.

Whats unfortunate is that I think the 'demo' days should be explicitly advertised as exempt from needing a discover pass. Its a demo! (like software!)

Whats unfortunate is that I think the 'demo' days should be explicitly advertised as exempt from needing a discover pass. Its a demo! (like software!)

Ron may have to talked to folks regarding it when they did not have one but I don't know--was too busy having fun...

Educating folks why vs. handing out tickets would have been the right "demo" move :awesomework:

With the big 'discover pass required' sign, and a police car sitting near the entrance, I think some people didn't risk the ticket, like Chrawler said. I parked my tow rig on the road because Emi's JK needed its Disco pass -- even though i guess I could have parked near the trailhead w/o a disco pass for today.. but I didn't know that.

Point being is that many people who come to these or hear second, third, fifth hand just hear "I heard Rieter is open again!" and have no context to what that actually means. These same people don't know what the disco pass is, or don't care to buy one because they never go on DNR land since Reiter closed.. and may not want to buy one until Reiter is actually open. They then see a sign and a cop to enforce said sign and run away. They don't assume they're going to get educated, they assume they'll get a $100 ticket -- which from guessing that $30 is too much, $100 is out of the question.

We need to stop assuming people know things. Many people have a wheeler, hear that there is this place called Rieter, and go up. Educate, yes, scare off, no.

With the big 'discover pass required' sign, and a police car sitting near the entrance, I think some people didn't risk the ticket, like Chrawler said. I parked my tow rig on the road because Emi's JK needed its Disco pass -- even though i guess I could have parked near the trailhead w/o a disco pass for today.. but I didn't know that.

Point being is that many people who come to these or hear second, third, fifth hand just hear "I heard Rieter is open again!" and have no context to what that actually means. These same people don't know what the disco pass is, or don't care to buy one because they never go on DNR land since Reiter closed.. and may not want to buy one until Reiter is actually open. They then see a sign and a cop to enforce said sign and run away. They don't assume they're going to get educated, they assume they'll get a $100 ticket -- which from guessing that $30 is too much, $100 is out of the question.

We need to stop assuming people know things. Many people have a wheeler, hear that there is this place called Rieter, and go up. Educate, yes, scare off, no.

Something that should be addressed at a reiter focus group meeting perhaps?

Should have came. they wern't checking. At least parked on Reiter road and walked the 500 ft to where we were.

It was brought up and dropped in the first 5 minutes. Mine was sitting on my desk at home

Address what?

I quoted what Jakob said and suggested it be brought up by him at the Reiter focus group meeting make sense now?:eeek:

Go to the meeting and bring it up :awesomework:

:awesomework:

Nope I was suggesting the person who i quoted to bring it up since it was his idea that he brought up just giving advice on how to convey it to somebody who actually can do something with it. My involvment at Reiter is over sorry

So did anybody else feel odd towing up reiter road? The first time I did a month ago it really felt Eerie.......

The DNR has spent what the last year/half educating/putting up signage around the state in reference to needing a Disco pass. I don't know how this can be pushed any more.

This event though was unique and I could see the confusion in needing the pass. You can't always predict every situation and just gotta kinda roll with it...

Was the sherifs truck parked at the gate? I thought I saw it parked behind Ron's past the trail head.

Ughhh.... yes I know there is signage and education -- but I don't think you understand that there are classes of wheelers that have very little knowledge or understanding about the discover pass. OR that Reiter is still shut down. I've been stopped multiple times by people saying they thought it was open, and didn't know about it being just a demo day.

Out of state -- people coming down from Canada probably have little idea what this discover pass business is about. Or from Oregon.

People staying on private land or in Rieter's case, illegally wheeling on USFS land. DNR has done a pretty good job of putting disco signs up even in grey/unauthorized user areas.. but if people are out on USFS land they don't see these signs.

You'll be amazed how many wheelers don't have internet.

Basically -- if you're opening a new area up, as what is happening with Reiter (it was closed before disco passes were required), you'll need to go through the education process all over again. Don't assume people are going to walker, are plugged into DNR's 'ear to the ground blog', etc.

Either Ron or the Sheriff's truck was moved down towards the gate after the noon-time rush.

I'd like to see a sign under the discover pass required that says 'optional for demo days' indicating to people who come that it is a demo day (and not the end result) and that the pass will be required, just not today.

Ughhh.... yes I know there is signage and education -- but I don't think you understand that there are classes of wheelers that have very little knowledge or understanding about the discover pass. OR that Reiter is still shut down. I've been stopped multiple times by people saying they thought it was open, and didn't know about it being just a demo day.

Out of state -- people coming down from Canada probably have little idea what this discover pass business is about. Or from Oregon.

People staying on private land or in Rieter's case, illegally wheeling on USFS land. DNR has done a pretty good job of putting disco signs up even in grey/unauthorized user areas.. but if people are out on USFS land they don't see these signs.

You'll be amazed how many wheelers don't have internet.

Basically -- if you're opening a new area up, as what is happening with Reiter (it was closed before disco passes were required), you'll need to go through the education process all over again. Don't assume people are going to walker, are plugged into DNR's 'ear to the ground blog', etc.

Either Ron or the Sheriff's truck was moved down towards the gate after the noon-time rush.

I'd like to see a sign under the discover pass required that says 'optional for demo days' indicating to people who come that it is a demo day (and not the end result) and that the pass will be required, just not today.

That was the only demo day--the other scheduled days are just wheel the trail days and all laws apply.