• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

np 205 in A cj7

sanddudes

Has anybody put A 205 in A jeep? I'm looking for A Sm465 trans and see some with the NP205 t case already on it. What is the difference between the 205 and the Dana 300? It would be nice if I didn't have to spend $500.00 to adapt the 300 to the Sm465 if I don't have to.

Thanks

Go with the 205 it's a gear drive and strong as hell. I'm not to shure about the gear ratio's and how that might or might not benifit you. But in a cj7 jeep it should never fail Ive sean them behind 500+ horse and 44" on a full size catch air all day long

NP205 has a 1.96:1 low range, whereas the 300 has something around 2.3ish:1; They do have low range gears available for the 205 though...The other thing to consider is the 205's length as compared to the 300...

How much longer and wider is the 205 then the 300? And how much lower will it sit then the 300?

Thanks

Not exactly sure, but I'm sure a short search on the interweb can and will net you results...I'm pretty sure I've seen this topic here even!!!
I forgot to mention the do also offer low gears for the 300 as well...One bonus to the 300 is a clocking ring is available, allowing you to taylor the front output's height to your desire!

NP205 has a 1.96:1 low range, whereas the 300 has something around 2.3ish:1; They do have low range gears available for the 205 though...The other thing to consider is the 205's length as compared to the 300...

Actually they dont offer gear sets for a np205 the case is to big to allow any change in gears. . . the only way to accomplish it is 2 buy the lowmax 205 either just the case or as an assembled unit:awesomework:

As far as strength you cant beat a 205:cool: But when it comes 2 modding them out it becomes a whole nother ball game. . . . You can set it up for front digs and the ford 205 has 32spline outputs stock along with 31spline input. So u have some options but not like the 300.

Personally i would either go lowmax or a 300, i dont know what kinda wheeling you do but it seems eventually everyone wants lower gearing. . .

Well thanks for the info guys. I guess I will have to buy the adaptor for the Dana 300. It seams like it will work best for me. It just sucks that the adaptor is more then I have into the trans.

Latest posts