• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

***** Nww Ski Thread *****

Boxxerace

Ski / Ride / Sled / Innertube down the snowy hill, post it here.

Cliff9.jpg

Last edited:
Ski thread, I'm in.

But why leave it open to ride, sled, tube also?

Everyone knows skiing is where its at. :stirpot:

Here's my junk-

Attachments

• K2S0093.jpg
    K2S0093.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 219
  • freerideplus2.jpg
    freerideplus2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 215
  • freerideplus1.jpg
    freerideplus1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 212
Hey Pat,

A fellow tourer (is this a word?) I see. I am without a tour setup at the moment, I sold my wussy K2 Shuksan's a while back with my Fritchi's (bad idea on the latter).

I just picked up some K2 Apache Chief's, which are basically the same thing as Coomba's. Rolled them at Crystal on Friday. Aside from checking the depth of the snow with my ski and core shotting, the three feet of pow was generally deep enough to not dig to the rock in every turn. First run was down the East side of Silver King, only to come upon an injured snowboarder who had gotten knocked up by some hidden rock.

Good first day except Crystal needs alot more snow.

I think I am headed to Alpental next for some more lift served. Anyone been out on Pontoons? Everyone at Evo is rolling em.

Whats pontoons? Shuksans and Fritschis is sweet gear why'd you sell it?

I like to wait for a good snowpack, like 7 feet especially at Baker there's lots of gnarly **** that takes a good bit of snow to cover. This will be my first season with climbing skins so hopefully buying lift tickets will soon be a thing of the past.:cool:

Pontoons: http://www.evogear.com/skis/k2-pontoon-2009.aspx Reverse taper, "water skis". Basically allows more non-traditional movement (ala: snowboarding) down the sick stuff as well as stupid flotation over the wet and nasty.

I sold the Shuksans cause they sucked. They are light, yes, but are really flimsy and did not float and generally ski'd like your K2 8800's from 20 years ago.

Fat skis is where it is at, touring or not. I am with you on lift tickets. Got ass reamed for $60.00 for five runs at Crystal. Yes, they were good runs and my legs sucked / time ran out which prevented further runs.

I take it you are on turns all year? http://www.turns-all-year.com/

Great site

I put in 8 hours on Stevens Sunday the snow was great best I have seen at Stevens but they still need a couple more feet.

I take it you are on turns all year? http://www.turns-all-year.com/

Great site

:cool: Thanks for the link. I'm actually new to the backcountry thing. I've been hiking for out of bounds powder for years and the randonee guys always made it look so easy. Now that I've got the right gear I'm ready to do some exploring, hopefully the weather treats us well this winter.:awesomework:

I quit skiing when I moved to the wet side, and their "Powder" would stop you in your tracks. :haha:

Sounds like you never have skied on a fat ski. Go on up, great sport.

Or in the "north" cascades, Bham has been hiding something epic at the end of that narrow, windy, dead-end road.:D

If it stops you in your tracks its just not steep enough
:;

I quit skiing when I moved to the wet side, and their "Powder" would stop you in your tracks. :haha:

Have you skiied at the Loop Loop? Thats one place I really wanna check out but getting there from over here is a bitch in the winter.

Hey Pat,

Do you have a beacon / shovel / etc? I am using an Orthovox M1 so you can find my body when buried.

Pretty hot topic in light of the sledders who were killed in BC just a day ago.

In the past I've always just skiied with friends that I trusted to be more knowledgeable/experienced than I was. Taking runs where we knew the route well and were still in the vicinity of a ski area- sticking together as a group and following existing tracks (which CAN lead you astray).

Last year I got a good pack, shovel, and probe and read book on avalanche safety.

This year I am getting a beacon and also mabey taking a 1 or 3 day av safety class.

I've never seen a slide bigger than what I can ski out of, but it is something that makes me nervous and adds to the excitement of the sport.

Assume that ever avalanche is going to kill you or your buddy below. Nothing like being raked through 18" douglas fir's at 60mph or having the powder snow that you were just skiing through, freezing into a ice tomb thanks to the friction.

Assume that ever avalanche is going to kill you or your buddy below. Nothing like being raked through 18" douglas fir's at 60mph or having the powder snow that you were just skiing through, freezing into a ice tomb thanks to the friction.

Word :awesomework:

ski thread? cool, glad to see I'm not the only one! Went up to stevens on monday, waited in line for 1/2hr for the lifts to open and went straight to the back side, we had fresh lines all day until the wind got so bad they shut southern cross down, great day. Here's my rides, Keep thinking snow!!!:beer:

Last edited:
ski thread? cool, glad to see I'm not the only one! Went up to stevens on monday, waited in line for 1/2hr for the lifts to open and went straight to the back side, we had fresh lines all day until the wind got so bad they shut southern cross down, great day. Here's my rides, Keep thinking snow!!!:beer:

:cool: :beer:
How much snow?? Is everything covered pretty well?

:cool: :beer:
How much snow?? Is everything covered pretty well?

60" this morning, but there is still plenty of stuff to catch on if you dig deep. Crystal has some major exposure still, some that is invisible from the surface (even with the other deeper snow). Helped the patrol pull a guy off the hill who rag dolled facefirst after hitting his healside edge on rocks while going fast. Felt bad for the guy.

We are suppose to see a foot or two tonight and more on Thursday and Friday. I am rolling up to Stevens on Thursday morning. Anyone want to meet up, hit up some thigh burning fun stuff?