• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

NWW to the Rubicon?

NotMatt

Ok, I know this is a ways in advance, but I'm determined to hit the Rubicon next summer, as I've never been there before. Now that I have a tow rig, and will most likely have a trailer of my own by next summer, I'm ready to go and want to start thinking about it and planning for it.

So, with that in mind, anyone else want to go some time after memorial day weekend next summer? I'm thinking it would be nice to make it a week long deal (plus the two weekends on either end to get there/get back). I want to avoid the memorial day weekend crowds, and also would like to go when it's all thawed out/dried out for the most part.

Your thoughts? Input? Any tips from people who've been before? Anyone want to start planning with me to go? Should we plan on just tackling the Rubicon, or should we also try to fit in Fordyce or other trails in the area?

Last edited:
:clappy: Definitely interested, was supposed to do it this year but wasn't ready in time. Already been talking with a few friends about it.

You could do the 'Con in a day. It would be pushing it if you weren't with a group of expierenced wheelers. But it could be done.

I would reccomend 3 days on the con. If you left the tow rigs on the Loon Lake side, you could hit up barret on the way back to the Tow rigs. Also Fordce is in the area.

Having said that, If I don't go to EJS at Moab this year, I'd be down to go.

I would like to go but if Mike plans a trip to the hammers I would rather do that... but throw some dates out early and get the time firmed up and then see who can make it.

KarlVP said:
You could do the 'Con in a day. It would be pushing it if you weren't with a group of expierenced wheelers. But it could be done.

I would reccomend 3 days on the con. If you left the tow rigs on the Loon Lake side, you could hit up barret on the way back to the Tow rigs. Also Fordce is in the area.

Having said that, If I don't go to EJS at Moab this year, I'd be down to go.

A day--I could do it in 4 hours--well 4 hours to the top of cadilac hill--after that its just gravel road...

How about some info on other trails in the area? Where is Fordyce? What about Dusy Ershim, is that in the area? How long of a drive is it to the 'Con? Can it be done in a single day in a Jeep, or is that pushing it?

Freeride said:
How about some info on other trails in the area? Where is Fordyce? What about Dusy Ershim, is that in the area? How long of a drive is it to the 'Con? Can it be done in a single day in a Jeep, or is that pushing it?

Drivin a Jeep to the Con from the Seattle area? 18 hours min.....Have fun. :redneck:

Fordyce is a trail that has deep water crossings and during teh events they limit the water flow for the wheelers, if you go on a off weekend? bring your oars. It's about 1½ hours from the Con.

Dusy is an easier scenic trail that is long. Great scenery not much challenge if your locked all around. It's SW of the Con quite a ways, not sure how far though.

All of this is grapevine knowledge as I haven't done any of these yet, I ant to do the Con in teh worst way but I am already planning on bringin the junk up there next summer. :cheer: :cheer:

Fordyce is a great trail. I would not go down to the area again without running it. Harder than the rubicon and longer. Just as scenic too.

the water crossings are 38 to 45' deep most of the time, so you have to be prepared for that.

We had 5 good wheelers go through and it took us 10 hours with no breakage, Just having fun.

Last year when we did the Rubicon we drove down on Sat/Sun. Rubicon on Mon/Tue. Fordyce on Wed/Thur. Drove home on Fri/Sat.

Definitely make time for Fordyce Creek. It's more challenging than the Rubicon. Make reservations early for camping.

I sooo want to do that, rubicon/fordyce run for a week. Went to Truckee last easter and tryed to go to the enterance to Fordyce but there was 10' of snow still.

TB-F said:
I sooo want to do that, rubicon/fordyce run for a week. Went to Truckee last easter and tryed to go to the enterance to Fordyce but there was 10' of snow still.

Fordyce typically won't open until mid summer sometime. remember we are talking high mountain here.

Camp on the north end of Fordyce at the lake, the campground at the freeway side entrance sucks as the freeway is loud as hell all night.

It sounds like it might be doable. Throw out some dates. I've been wanting to head down for a year or two and its about time to see what's outside of the great northwest.

The Hammers sounds like a good run to buddy up on too.

me and some buddies were talkin about tripin down to the con next summer. figure out the dayes and maybe we can all convoy down there with NWW sitckers plastered all over our rigs. show em that the northerners that run trees aint afraid of no little rocks!

I'd be down for a run south. Already committed to a run there in Sept, so this might be a good shake down run.

4 hours to run from loon to Caddy hill?! Sounds like work to me. No thanks! I'll leave it in 1st and idle the trail.