• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

OBA, Air Tank Question

ridinwfo

I want to put OBA on my rig but don't really want to send the cash for a tank and aircompressor. So I looked at the CO2 assembly and thought that it was a great idea but yet again pricy!!! So I was lookingaround my garage and found a few old scuba tanks.

So my question is to you guys: Can you or has anyone ran a scuba tank for your OBA ???? I just need it to fill up tires. How come you never see anyone run this assembly? The tank I have is rated for 3300 PSI. As long as I have a secured down really good why wouldn't it work?

:redneck: :redneck: :redneck: :redneck: :redneck:

I know redneck engineering at it's finest. But that what I have laying around without spending any cash!!

I've played a lot of paintball in my time and Co2 and compressed air are the primary propellants for the markers. Co2 expands a lot more then compressed air, so basically you get a lot more into the same space. If you want to go with a Co2 setup, my buddy Bulzeye, he's on the boards here, got a used 20lb tank and gets it filled at a local paintball field. Sure it's not pretty like a Powertank, but it's the same damn thing, and if you want you could Krylon it and make it any damn color you want. Not sure how much he payed for his, but I'm sure it was less then half the cost of a Powertank setup. I'll get him to post in here.

I think if you do a search online you'll find more than one article about using a scuba tank for an OBA setup. I could be mistaken but I think I have read it some where.

I think if you do a search online you'll find more than one article about using a scuba tank for an OBA setup. I could be mistaken but I think I have read it some where.

I wasn't saying that you couldn't do it, just that Co2 would be more effective in a lot of ways. Cost, space, accessories, etc...

Safety is a big concern.
I have witnessed the destruction to a house from a ruptured scuba tank. The damage was unbelievable. Not only was every window in the house blown out but the sheathing was lossened to where the siding had to be removed so the sheathing could be renailed. Sheetrock was damaged and sections of roofing were removed to renail the roof sheeting. A rupture could occur in a vehicle.

On the otherhand I have seen a demonstration where the valve on a compressed liquid CO2 bottle was sheared off. There was an initial poof then the liquid spilled out and bubbled away into the atmosphere. No destruction.

I have two different systems on one of my jeeps. A quickair 2 and the bottle of CO2. The qiuckair works well enough however is very slow in compairsion to the CO2. The quickair always works. The co2 must be recharged at sometime which means a trip to Kent. Convience works both ways with either system.

I also have a YJ whish has a York Compressor. The York works almost as well as the CO2. The diy York cost same as or less than co2 or quickair. Setting up the York was a pita compared to either the co2 or quickair. I think I would rather have the York over either system. The main advantage with the CO2 is it can go whereever I need it whenever I need it.

I agree on the safety issue. The amount of stored energy in a scuba tank is dramatically higher, 3000psi in a scuba compared to about 1800 max in a Co2 tank.

I wasn't saying that you couldn't do it, just that Co2 would be more effective in a lot of ways. Cost, space, accessories, etc...

I was talking about using the SCUBA tank as a CO2 tank. Isn't that what the question was in the first place? Or maybe I am missing something?

I was talking about using the SCUBA tank as a CO2 tank. Isn't that what the question was in the first place? Or maybe I am missing something?

You mean actually filling a scuba tank with Co2? I'm not sure if they are rated the same or the legality of doing that. If it's is legal and a shop would fill it, you would have swap out the valve and regulator assembly. Probably would still be a better idea just to use a Co2 tank to begin with.

I used to play paint ball a lot and the guys I played with had scuba tanks that they got filled with C02. Then they had a fill station that they would use to fill their co2 bottles for the guns.

I have no problem getting the tank filled with either air or co2. Just wondered if anyone has used a scuba tank in there vehicle to fill tires, ect. ? I would mount the tank in the rear of my truck, which is all tubed out. So protection around the tank isn't an issue. :stirpot:

I used to play paint ball a lot and the guys I played with had scuba tanks that they got filled with C02. Then they had a fill station that they would use to fill their co2 bottles for the guns.

I have no problem getting the tank filled with either air or co2. Just wondered if anyone has used a scuba tank in there vehicle to fill tires, ect. ? I would mount the tank in the rear of my truck, which is all tubed out. So protection around the tank isn't an issue. :stirpot:

Are you sure that they were using Co2? I've been playing paintball since the early 90's and have never seen a scuba filled with Co2, but I have been using high pressure compressed air on my paintball markers since '99. I also have several scuba tanks that I use with a fill station to fill my compressed air tanks when I'm playing somewhere that doesn't have there own compressor. I'm not saying that you are wrong, I just think that in 15 years of playing paintball that if people were doing this, I would've seen it by now.

Just for some info/closure, I'm going to call a local scuba shop and a welding supply store and ask them about this to see if it's legal/possible/safe or whatever.

i'm into my co2 setup for $115. got the 150 psi regulator and tank bracket from polyperformace for 95 and the co2 tank for 20 bucks. I would suggest just spending the money and getting a co2 setup.

Ok, I just got off the phone with the dive shop and a welding supply store. The dive shop said that there wasn't a Co2 type valve they they knew of that would have the same threading as a scuba tank. The welding supply store said that it would be a huge can of worms because first you would have to find a valve system that would fit the scuba tank and then even after that you would have a had time getting it filled by most places. The professional's opions were that even if you could get the parts to do it, the cost of the parts and the trouble of getting a shop to fill it would make it very impractical. The welding supply store figured that the valve itself would cost at least $100 plus any adaptors you would need to make it work. Now that Bulzeye has posted how much his setup cost him to build, I think that it makes sense just to get a Co2 tank and regulator. As much as I am for redneck engineering, this one just seems like more trouble ,danger, and cost then necessary.

Ok, this is part of a article about Co2 tanks from Hummer.off-road.com

Some guys have been known to bring scuba tanks out on the trail for air tools, because it works and it is cheap - but I wouldn

Are you sure that they were using Co2? I've been playing paintball since the early 90's and have never seen a scuba filled with Co2, but I have been using high pressure compressed air on my paintball markers since '99. I also have several scuba tanks that I use with a fill station to fill my compressed air tanks when I'm playing somewhere that doesn't have there own compressor. I'm not saying that you are wrong, I just think that in 15 years of playing paintball that if people were doing this, I would've seen it by now.

Just for some info/closure, I'm going to call a local scuba shop and a welding supply store and ask them about this to see if it's legal/possible/safe or whatever.

No you are right!! I just realized that we were playing with compressed air and the scuba tanks were used to just fill those, not the C02 tanks. Sorry on the clarification!! :haha:

Thanks for the article!!! I think that C02 is the way to go. Sounds like it's a lot safer and the tank is smaller and lighter than a scuba tank. So I think I might try and sell my scuba tanks and buy a tank from Polyperformance. Seems like that is the more logical sollution. I wish I could put a York pump on my engine but my engine compartment is too packed the way it is. Then I have looked in a electric air compressor setup w/ tank but by the time you are done with the setup to run tool and all it gets really expensive!!!:mad:

So like you guys have said I think that C02 is the way to go. It's compact and easily mobile. and don't have to run all those air lines and wires to power it!! :looser: So I'm sold on the C02 assembly:awesomework:

Thanks for the article!!! I think that C02 is the way to go. Sounds like it's a lot safer and the tank is smaller and lighter than a scuba tank. So I think I might try and sell my scuba tanks and buy a tank from Polyperformance. Seems like that is the more logical sollution. I wish I could put a York pump on my engine but my engine compartment is too packed the way it is. Then I have looked in a electric air compressor setup w/ tank but by the time you are done with the setup to run tool and all it gets really expensive!!!:mad:

So like you guys have said I think that C02 is the way to go. It's compact and easily mobile. and don't have to run all those air lines and wires to power it!! :looser: So I'm sold on the C02 assembly:awesomework:

i would suggest not buying the tank from them but just teh regulator and mounting bracket.

i would suggest just going to your fill shop (welding supply, or airgas) and just do the exchange program for 100. that way you are in and out with a filled tank the same day rather than having to wait 1-3 days to get your tank filled.

I have both an electric compressor with air tank and an actual Powertank. I hadn't used the Powertank in the winter too much, but on a snow run a couple months ago discovered that if the temperature gets to be too low, the CO2 does not want to come out of the tank! I store my Powertank in the bed of the truck so I either need to move it into the cab or get a bottle warmer.

I have both an electric compressor with air tank and an actual Powertank. I hadn't used the Powertank in the winter too much, but on a snow run a couple months ago discovered that if the temperature gets to be too low, the CO2 does not want to come out of the tank! I store my Powertank in the bed of the truck so I either need to move it into the cab or get a bottle warmer.

Yeah, I've seen that happen in paintball guns before too. I've also seen some freeze up from rapid fire too. I have the larger ARB compressor in my Jeep so that I can air up and run my lockers too. I used my compressor to air up the drivers side while Bulzeye was airing up my passenger side from his CO2 tank. He was done with both tires just as I had started the second tire on my side. So my compressor works fine, I could probably air up all 4 tires in about 7-8 minutes. But, if I needed to run any air tools or anything that needs a more constant supply of air, I would be screwed. I've been thinking about adding a smaller CO2 tank in my Jeep to, just in case. But space is at a premium in a Jeep as it is.

I have a 20lb co2 tank ,full,w/regulator that has gauges ,just need hose,that i will sell or trade you? it's not a pretty power tank one but they work great,I use one on my samurai.also you would have to find a bracket,fire ext. quick release work good.shoot me a p.m. or just an offer if interested.I could send a pic. to your phone later,going to elbe in 1/2 hour

if you get a smaller fill on your tank during the winter that helps a lot. found that out playing paintball. used to get 8-10 oz of co2 in my 20oz tank and that would help bunches in the cold and shooting quicker.