• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

October Wheeling - Naches

mark

Whats the typical weather and wheeling like at the 'cheese in early October? Talking Shoe-string, Tripod ect.

I usually try to make atleast one trip over there in September, but that's not going to happen this year so thinking maybe early October.

Whats the weather "typically" like? Will it be a muddy soup bowl by then or does the dryness stick around?

I expect the night to be cold (they are in September) but more chance than not of rain or does than not really turn till later in the year.

Snow?

Basically, other than typical PNW 'you never know' weather, what can one expect. I don't like wheeling/camping in the rain if I can avoid it, and grease-ball trails aren't my favorite.

When does it close of the season?

I've done Rim rock early October and it was fine but some of the hill climbs were more challenging because of the moisture in the soil. The nights are a little chilly and the weather was ok.

I'd guess highs in the 50s and cold at night. There will be moisture, good chance of precip. Perfect time of year to go, no dust.

I remember it being cold as hell at night. Made me want to go out the next weekend and buy a camper. My heep is fully enclosed so in the day was not bad.

I'd guess highs in the 50s and cold at night. There will be moisture, good chance of precip. Perfect time of year to go, no dust.
So leave the shorts at home :redneck:

Sounds like odds are slim for a fire ban though!

Who's up for an October Naches trip? Low key, hit the trails, little time on the rocks but not the primary focus...

So leave the shorts at home :redneck:

Sounds like odds are slim for a fire ban though!

Who's up for an October Naches trip? Low key, hit the trails, little time on the rocks but not the primary focus...

What days are you thinking?

My group already has a trip planned for the 3-10th.

You guys are going to be there a whole week?

What days are you thinking?

I don't know, I'm out of town on a business trip the week before the 3rd, back on the 2nd. Wife just said she didn't care if I went wheeling that weekend... but the kids might be mad :D

Pretty open, probably the sooner the better.

best time of year for Naches is October/November if you want to run trails IMOP.

best time of year for Naches is October/November if you want to run trails IMOP.

This is true since the idiot FS does seasonal closures. The burn ban is off for the cle elum ranger district. You can wheel in peace and quiet and have a chance for the first snow or t-shirt weather depending on the year.

Yes. Not sure what day(s) we're wheeling but at least one this weekend. Think a buddy has to work sat so sunday (10-12) is our best bet.

Last edited:
I will be up there bumping around in my little yellow Toyota.. I plan on doing some fishing down at Manastash lake also. You all might drive by my rig parked on top at the lake trail head. Im leaving the house early Sat morning.