• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Odd dash problem 01' cummins?

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
On my way to work this morning and as I come down from 55mph to the first light heading west in monroe I get that ding ding ding followed by guages lamp. So I quickly peek at oil/coolant guages and both good. I peek over at volt guage and its at or below 8 volts. Now I am familure with my dodge and know what happens when the grid comes on and the voltage drops to around 10volts with the dimming dash lamps ect. Well the dash lamps looked perfect and didn't notice anything odd except the volt gauge. I got to work and shut the rig down and restarted--and the guage worked perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to lookl to see how the alt is wired but I am suspecting something goofy in the cluster but will check the charging system out.

Anybody ever heard of this happening?

My check gages light comes on usually in the morning for a second or two when I start the drive. But it turns off and then stays off. I think it picks up a signal of low fluid somehwere, probably tranny fluid until it is circulated, or maybe even oil.

All Chrysler products of this era are known for connection issues for various guages at the back of the cluster...Almost every time has been fixed by pulling the cluster-checking/cleaning the contacts, and putting stabillant22 contact enhancer on the terminals...:awesomework:

Crash

I have a 01 and had the same problem with mine I pulled the guage cluster and took apart all the connections to the back cleaned them and put it back together with the same grease we use on acft electical connections and it has worked ever since. That was like 2 1/2 yrs ago. Has the top of your dash cracked yet? Mine was awful so I replaced it at the same time with aftermarket one I can probably find it again on the web but it was like 300.00 instead of the 750.00 Dodge wanted for a replacement I then covered the aftermarket one with dash carpet so it would not crack again. No problems since then.

Hope it helps

TC

X3 (or whatever) on that era of Dodge's and cluster issues. Could be just the connections or it could be solder joints. We see 'em in EVERYTHING Chrysler... trucks, sebring, stratus, neon, caravan... doesn't matter, they all have their problems. IF it continues doing it and pulling the cluster and cleaning connections doesn't do it, Tacoma Speedometer can repair the cluster for like $175.

J

X3 (or whatever) on that era of Dodge's and cluster issues. Could be just the connections or it could be solder joints. We see 'em in EVERYTHING Chrysler... trucks, sebring, stratus, neon, caravan... doesn't matter, they all have their problems. IF it continues doing it and pulling the cluster and cleaning connections doesn't do it, Tacoma Speedometer can repair the cluster for like $175.

J
X2 on the possible soldier cracks as well...And also on Tacoma Speedo...we've used 'em at work for some cluster oh's!:redneck:

same thing happend to my 01. one of the 2 wires on the back of the alt. had a brake about a 1/2 in. off the connector. volts would drop id turn off engine and restart with full voltage.

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't touched anything yet but its been working fine. About 2 years ago my tach started flaking out/sticking in place for seconds at a time. That too stopped right away. I will pull the cluster and inspect the connections. As for the cluster its in perfect shape/no cracks...

Latest posts