• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Offroad Thru Trips - Google Maps/satellite photography Trail Hunting

TBItoy

Now that I have a fishing truck/mild trail wheeler, I've spent a bunch of time searching google maps looking at satellite photography and finding trails/un maintained roads/etc that go across the fairly uninhabited areas. Head out on a Saturday and go exploring.

Anyone else do this? Find through trips that are cool?

If you aren't familiar with what I'm talkin about, click over to satellite on Google maps, zoom out and find a spot that looks dark green/heavily wooded and start zooming in. Usuaully you be able to see trails on top of the ridges, "dead end" roads that actually turn into trails, etc.

Most of these trails/areas have been around for decades and locals ride them, some aren't exactly easy to access from a parking-tow rig-trailer standpoint, so a street legal wheeler is preferred.

Close to me the Rickman-Alpine-Allred TN area is covered with old logging roads and unmaintained county routes.

Re: Google Maps/satellite photography Trail Hunting

When I was younger I did this to find new ponds to fish around the house. A old man ran me off with a 12ga one day so I stopped doing that.

That's the problem i find up here. No matter how desolate or remote, somebody owns it. And that someone is usually keeping an eye out for hooligans. But I only live 45 min from Rausch Creek so it's not loke I don't have somewhere to wheel.

85toyo said:
When I was younger I did this to find new ponds to fish around the house. A old man ran me off with a 12ga one day so I stopped doing that.

Ran into several guns and/or threats to call the cops if I don't scadaddle, back in the day on atv's. Exploring is awesome! Used to think I was way off in the woods seldom traveled, then bam I'd run up on a grassy food plot with a shootin' house in the corner of it. molaugh

Better take a chainsaw, especially with this last ice storm. We use to do that in the Hinch mountain area south of crossville. Got to be to much work with less riding. Also when you are sneaking around in the woods, a chainsaw noise takes the sneak right out of your trip.

Google Earth just recently started giving away the Pro license. Not much improvement over the standard version but it has property data for most of the country. Might help better guide your exploring...

Mongo44 said:
Google Earth just recently started giving away the Pro license. Not much improvement over the standard version but it has property data for most of the country. Might help better guide your exploring...

Nice.

Right now I use the TN property data website to get landowner info.

http://tnmap.tn.gov

I haven't had any run ins with hostile landowners, but a little stock tacoma poking through the woods doesn't draw much attention.

I log countless hours at work doing this :****: I used to go out on foot, or on booyang and scout for 12hr days. I thought I knew all that was there...well Google earth showed me. It can reveal stuff that you were right on top of but couldn't see. Saves so much time too. I get a hit list together, then head out with a mission. This is where I feel bad for you guys to the east, so much private land you are almost always on somebody's land. :-\

There is some real good riding in that area!! Ive run hundreds if not thousands of miles on some bikes back in the day around that country!!

TBItoy said:
Now that I have a fishing truck/mild trail wheeler, I've spent a bunch of time searching google maps looking at satellite photography and finding trails/un maintained roads/etc that go across the fairly uninhabited areas. Head out on a Saturday and go exploring.

Anyone else do this? Find through trips that are cool?

If you aren't familiar with what I'm talkin about, click over to satellite on Google maps, zoom out and find a spot that looks dark green/heavily wooded and start zooming in. Usuaully you be able to see trails on top of the ridges, "dead end" roads that actually turn into trails, etc.

Most of these trails/areas have been around for decades and locals ride them, some aren't exactly easy to access from a parking-tow rig-trailer standpoint, so a street legal wheeler is preferred.

Close to me the Rickman-Alpine-Allred TN area is covered with old logging roads and unmaintained county routes.

Bing maps / bird's eye is even better than google in most areas from what I've found...

tallnate said:
Bing maps / bird's eye is even better than google in most areas from what I've found...

except its way out of date.

For our property information in alabama i use EMAPS.com for madison county and others.

Usually if you google your county and GIS most will have some property owner information.

Re:

We were all drunked up and camping at the old man's farm one night and we're hankering for frog legs and got on there and found about a half a dozen ponds within a sxs ride of the farm. It's always a good night of frog gigging when you're out so late that frogs eventually quit croaking.

Re: Re: Offroad Thru Trips - Google Maps/satellite photography Trail Hunting

TBItoy said:
Anyone make thru trips from Gruetli-Laager/Coalmont/Tracy City area to Jasper through the cove anymore?
Hmm that sounds fun but probably meth lab country...