• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

oil changed--much darker than normal

Glenn

1989 Toyota with 22RE. 225xxx miles.

I just had the oil changed a few days ago. I had it changed at an auto repair facility near my apartment.

I checked the level the next day and it was pretty dark for so-called new oil. I have been changing my own oil when I can and it has never been this dark. Usually it is a light gold color right after changing, but this time it was a dark gold color and looked like it had a thousand miles on it.

I called the place and first he tried to tell me they put Chevron DELO in it. I know DELO is for diesel engines. So I asked him if DELO is darker. He said no and tried to tell me it is dark due to deposits on a 200K mile engine.

What are your thoughts?

It's highly unlikely that they put used oil in your engine. More likely, they only drained 3 qts and refilled it, or, didn't bother to replace the filter itself, and you have some used oil mixed with your new stuff.

This isn't that big of a problem... Could have been done accidentally - simply put the drain plug in a little too soon. Or, could have been done deliberately to save a few pennies. After all, oil changes normally aren't profitable.

Might want to take a close look at the filter, and see if it's new, or if it's just been wiped clean.

The other thing to consider, is that older engines do sometimes have massive sludge buildup, which could darken the new oil. You might want to google your engine with the words 'oil sludge' to see if this is a likely scenario.

T

Doesn't it take time to clean any sludge deposits loose? That shop is less a mile away. I don't see how sludge can be cleaned to that extent in a few minutes of driving time.

I will look at the filter tomorrow. I think they didn't get all the old oil out though.

Doesn't it take time to clean any sludge deposits loose? That shop is less a mile away. I don't see how sludge can be cleaned to that extent in a few minutes of driving time.

I will look at the filter tomorrow. I think they didn't get all the old oil out though.

The sludge wouldn't have been cleaned, it simply would have dirtied the oil as it passes over it.

But I'm not sure that's what you're experiencing. It's just one of many hypothesis.

I just take my car to oil can henrys. I get the oil in the starburst yellow bottles and have never had a problem. I suggest you do the same.

If you haven't had an issue with the oil being dark after a change before this last svc, then I'd go out on a limb saying that not all the old oil got drained...