• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Old school toyotas

yota8

Do you know of anyone that has taken one of the oldschool toyotas (with the 4 roundheadlights) and made one into a 4wd? Pics please

:cool:

There was actually a Co. years ago that did conversions on the early 2wd yotas, using a Dana 27 front,unknown t-case,...Google it--

Can't be done?? I may be a noob.. but anything is possible. You might have to fabricate a whole new frame, but I am sure it can be done :pbbt:

Your sarcasm filter is broken.

yota8: Obviously if you're going to make an old school toyota into 4wd, then everything's going to be pretty custom. You can bolt up a 4wd tranny and transmission from a later toyota, fab up a crossmember, then put hack out all the 2wd front suspension and put your axles under it. No reason why not, other than the amount of work and fabrication involved to make it clean and work good. Downside is that you will still be stuck with a carb'ed old school toyota, but that can be solved too with a motor swap.

Personally, I love the look of those old trucks, and would like to see one done up right with some 1-tons under it.

Oh so you prefer the folded sheet metal unibodys? :fawkdancesmiley:

Before I put the cage in the unibody in my XJ was stiffer than half the rigs with frames I've seen. Heck now that it has a cage I'd say that my XJ is stuffer than just about anyone

Your sarcasm filter is broken.

yota8: Obviously if you're going to make an old school toyota into 4wd, then everything's going to be pretty custom. You can bolt up a 4wd tranny and transmission from a later toyota, fab up a crossmember, then put hack out all the 2wd front suspension and put your axles under it. No reason why not, other than the amount of work and fabrication involved to make it clean and work good.

I wouldn't consider it that much work, compared to all what I had to do for my pathfinder and making all custom brackets for it, get the supply's, and go through a **** load of grinding disks and 3 harbor freight grinders :/

I wouldn't consider it that much work, compared to all what I had to do for my pathfinder and making all custom brackets for it, get the supply's, and go through a **** load of grinding disks and 3 harbor freight grinders :/

Yeah, but has your pathfinder wheeled yet? Does it run and drive and stop? Building a rig that's capable and safe involves a lot of nickel and dime **** that all adds up in the end... adds up in money, time, ingenuity, and sheer frustration, even when you start with something modern and running/driving like your pathfinder.

Last edited:
Yeah, but has your pathfinder wheeled yet? Does it run and drive and stop? Building a rig that's capable and safe involves a lot of nickel and dime **** that all adds up in the end... adds up in money, time, ingenuity, and sheer frustration, even when you start with something modern and running/driving like your pathfinder.

Haven't had the chance to really "wheel it" I pretty much just got it done so it was driveable and I got pulled over so much in it cause of how far the tires stuck out on each side. Ive never really had a problem with it besides I had to fix the steering "balljoint 60 and i bent my draglink" and I did my brakes on it but never tied them down to the axle (hardline) and it kept on shaking around back there till the flange part broke off and I had to drive home in 4lo downshifting :mad: I also sold it to a good friend of mine down in cali a couple weeks ago, so that I could start a new project up here.

Haven't had the chance to really "wheel it" I pretty much just got it done so it was driveable and I got pulled over so much in it cause of how far the tires stuck out on each side. Ive never really had a problem with it besides I had to fix the steering "balljoint 60 and i bent my draglink" and I did my brakes on it but never tied them down to the axle (hardline) and it kept on shaking around back there till the flange part broke off and I had to drive home in 4lo downshifting :mad:

Exactly.

More power to ya though. I still think you should just keep the pathy, fix the bugs and wheel the shiat out of it.

Exactly.

More power to ya though. I still think you should just keep the pathy, fix the bugs and wheel the shiat out of it.

That could have been an option, and ive never heard of a oneton pathfinder, but the ammount of money to get it up here, and for the knuckles 329 each!!!
Plus I needed a daily driver and the cops loved that thing :booo:

That could have been an option, and ive never heard of a oneton pathfinder, but the ammount of money to get it up here, and for the knuckles 329 each!!!
Plus I needed a daily driver and the cops loved that thing :booo:

It would cost even more money to start over with an old toyota.

It would cost even more money to start over with an old toyota.

not really as much, Alot of the stuff on the pathfinder was custom made so it hardly cost anything besides springs, hardware, metal

Besides im keeping my old springs so I don't have to buy new ones :D