• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

on board welder?

SJR

would like to set the new wheeler up with on board welding, wonderin whats the best direction to go, Inverter and a small HF Arc welder?, big gererater thats a welder? Alternater? what works ? whats cheep? thinkin Arc welder not wire feed what do you guys have? Scott

After seeing successful trail welding with 3 batteries, 2 jumper cable sets, and 7018 rod, I decided to make my own kit. I probably have less than 100 bucks into it.

looked at the premier , thats awesome I wont be spending that much, how bout a large amp alt from a caddy?

Really though, how often do you need the welder? Bring a couple sets of jumper cables, some rod, and have a few rigs in your group to borrow a battery from:redneck:

I don't do the hardcore stuff, but in all my trail wheeling. Never needed to weld on the trail to get out.

I do not like the premier system. You have to run there alt and if you have any problems your are screwed.

I prefer my wire feed setup :redneck: And it has gotten MANY rigs off the trail.

I have never EVER EVER needed a welder on the trail.

If you do you have a PILE OF CRAP. Something was janky and you knew it, so you feel better having a welder with you.

**** that. Build it right the first time.

Spend that money on some good axles, or a locker, or some beadlocks etc.

If a rig needs a welder in the woods then you need to back up and look at your fabwork.

Waste of money

I would rather have a set of oxy acet on board before a welder.

On another note, I made a new fuel cap with a quick connect on it. Now when my fuel pump dies I can use on board air to feed the fuel injection.

Runs good on regulated air pressure. Killed another damn fuel pump at elbe this weekend. Now I can get out on my own power.

Welders are handy when a main leaf spring snaps at the center pin hole...works well enough to get the spring welded back together and welded to the ubolt plate to drive it out...not all breakage is due to shoddy workmanship b-rad.:awesomework: Sometimes parts just fatigue...and you won't know it til the least opportune time..

To add I have had mine setup this way for a long time. On my return line I have a T valve so I can either plug the return or dump fuel out/fill another rig. Works pretty slick.

Also one thing to be carefull with is most of your fuel tanks out there will expand and peel the welded seams loose if you reach too much pressure.