• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

One Ton Steering Kit for A Yj?

WA-Wheeler

What are some good companies that make these?

It looked like rough stuff had a decent kit. Looked at JCR to. Just not sure

kit reusing the stock dana30 setup? I know AGR and PSC sell hydro assit conversion kits that can do most of the job. I think some have the drag link and maybe tie rod included.

as far as 1ton steering on a dana30 it would probably be reworking the stock steering arms taper to accept the 1ton tre's and whatnot.

Partsmike has a good selection of odds and ends for steering parts.
http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=204&start=1

Yeah Dana 30. Figured that the knuckle would have to be tapered. Could just DOM tube it with some threaded inserts but i was hoping for some input before i dug into it.

Spring over or spring under?

BEST way to do it is the Teraflex replacement knuckle for the right side, drill/ream your other knuckle to accept 1 ton ends, and then make new tie rods from DOM tubing and drill/tap for Chevy style tie rod ends.

John

BEST way to do it is the Teraflex replacement knuckle for the right side, drill/ream your other knuckle to accept 1 ton ends, and then make new tie rods from DOM tubing and drill/tap for Chevy style tie rod ends.

John

I personally wouldnt waste the $$ on a stock axle, put your money into a D44 or something better & do some sort of crossover steering.

I just picked up a waggy 44 from the wrecking yard for $145, flat top knuckles from wrecking yard for $18 each, 2 front wheels for $125, High Steer arm for $110, new ball joints are about $50, 1 ton tie rod ends are like $15 each (need 4). Moto Dan is going to make me a solid aluminum tie rod & drag link for cross over steering. For a little over $600 ill have a D44 up front in my YJ, that teraflex knuckle on Quadratec is $400, personally for a little bit more i'd upgrade the axle.

Of course the axle swap takes some time tracking down parts, and a few other expenses like gears (if you cant get em to match ur existing) & drivelines but to me its worth the extra money spent, thats the reason I havent put any money into the stock axle. You can also sell your stock axle to recover some of those expenses as well:awesomework:

Spring under. Dana 44 is preferable, but not going to happen before the trip. haven't had an issue yet with the 30 not going to change it.

Not my rig, so i guess its up to the owner and what he wants to do. If it was me i would get rid of the "Y" set up but time and money permitting i may just have him buy stock replacements and a spare

havent done the mod myself, far as modifying the stock d30 knuckle, but something to keep in mind is if the taper is too much to accept the 1ton steering component it might be doing more harm than good....

did he end up bending or breaking the stock setup or something? or just wanting to polish the almighty dana30? :redneck:

John

This is a nice setup and what I recomend also to customers. The TF knuckle is a little spendy to put on a D30 but its the cheapest right way to do it.

havent done the mod myself, far as modifying the stock d30 knuckle, but something to keep in mind is if the taper is too much to accept the 1ton steering component it might be doing more harm than good....

did he end up bending or breaking the stock setup or something? or just wanting to polish the almighty dana30? :redneck:

Just bending.... I thought about the knuckle being weaker with a new taper. Hopefully the 30 just breaks soon so something's little bigger can go in :D

003-7.jpg

Would be ideal, but not worth it's think.

I may just sleeve a stock one a little and keep athe old ones...bent but functional as his spares.