• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Oops..

Rock_Crusher said:
do you have short brake lines or shocks? why isn't that thing FLEXING?
Because he has short, stiff springs with too much arch. That's what you get when you go SUA with bolt on lift springs.

Haven't you been paying attention :flipoff:

Rock_Crusher said:
do you have short brake lines or shocks? why isn't that thing FLEXING???

Jon was much more accurate in his description of why it is not PERCIEVED to be flexing, than Crusty's short quip (even though that too is correct)

When Jon (Joop) tilted so far onto his side, he offloaded the suspension articulation corner to corner, and rather shifted EQUALY all the weight onto the passanger side. In reality little or no weight is even resting on the tree stump. The jeep is litterally teetering on two (think Dukes of Hazzard driving on two). In this case, the front and back both are equally weighted, and no flexing is to be expected.

Crusty is also correct in that a lighter arched spring (SOA) will flex better than a heavier arched spring (SUA). But in the pic you posted of Jon, it's just not the case - in my lowly opinion....

T

TreeClimber said:
Jon was much more accurate in his description of why it is not PERCIEVED to be flexing, than Crusty's short quip (even though that too is correct)

When Jon (Joop) tilted so far onto his side, he offloaded the suspension articulation corner to corner, and rather shifted EQUALY all the weight onto the passanger side. In reality little or no weight is even resting on the tree stump. The jeep is litterally teetering on two (think Dukes of Hazzard driving on two). In this case, the front and back both are equally weighted, and no flexing is to be expected.

Crusty is also correct in that a lighter arched spring (SOA) will flex better than a heavier arched spring (SUA). But in the pic you posted of Jon, it's just not the case - in my lowly opinion....

T

NO nO NO ...

on his site someone threw up a video ---- V I D E O

and watching it, JON - go thru the dig's - he's lifting a tire up?

*I'am just curious, why that jeep isn't flexing - go see the video linky;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03ehL5QVwQ

Rock_Crusher said:
NO nO NO ...

on his site someone threw up a video ---- V I D E O

and watching it, JON - go thru the dig's - he's lifting a tire up?

*I'am just curious, why that jeep isn't flexing - go see the video linky;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03ehL5QVwQ

OK. I watched the video. Yup, he lifts ever so slightly, but it flexs pretty darn good too. I'd guess, that his limiting factor is due to the largeness of the tires, and the upper edge of the rear fenders. Even though the springs could probably go up further, the tires hits first, so bump-stops or fenders limits the tires.

Looks like it flexes fine to me....

C'mon, it's a light leafsprung rig... it's not gonna get all crossed up like a built buggy with coilovers.

Last edited:
NotMatt said:
Looks like it flexes fine to me....

C'mon, it's a light leafsprung rig... it's not gonna get all crossed up like a built buggy with coilovers.

see even in this picture - you can barely make it out, but that front tire is off the ground!

I think that longer shocks / and smaller tires would stuff up farther & shove the other side down more... w/o chopping the body to hell... thats all I was saying or making a point of, looks like it isn't flexing... i can see in the picture of it from the front, short shocks... are not letting it drop, where as in the dig video... it was hard to see.

Jon, needs taller front shock hoops & longer shocks... and PINCH the rear end. I was just curious - couldn't see until the front pic showed up.

either way, w/ fenders & rear body... I couldn't do 36's w/o the rig way up in the air... guess I'am stuck w/ 33's.

TreeClimber said:
I was serious, but I wasn't referring directly to that picture. You're totally right, in that pic he's near break over and the suspension is mostly unloaded.

But there's definately room for improvement :;

Rock_Crusher said:
i can see in the picture of it from the front, short shocks... are not letting it drop, where as in the dig video... it was hard to see.
I doubt it, you see that's the big problem with stiff, heavy arched lift springs. They ride really high, so they can't droop much.

I would say compression is the problem. They're too stiff to allow enough compression to make up for the lack of droop.

None of this is here nor there however, Jon is anti SOA to the death :flipoff:

Rich go get you toyota that you keep dreaming of, keep the stock suspension set-up (sua or SOA) and see if you dont flop. :corn:

Oh wait you would have to actually get out and wheel to do that :haha:

JOOP said:
Rich go get you toyota that you keep dreaming of, keep the stock suspension set-up (sua or SOA) and see if you dont flop. :corn:

Oh wait you would have to actually get out and wheel to do that :haha:

Hey, ----- slow down partner... I'am not cutting you or the rig down, just trying to figure out where the limiting factor's are - so i can improve on my rig. i see now that if i ran a 36 in tire, that i'd have to either have my rig alot higher up away from the tire... *which i don't want. or I'd have to get rid of body parts that are stopping full up travel.

running 33's would let the wheel travel higher up vs 36's...

and if i made some taller front shock mounts - i could get some longer f shocks, the back --- trim as much or trim more and re-weld panels to achieve the VIRTUAL lift, allowing me to stuff the rears more.

i was just curious why you kept lifting tire's... and from that front picture of the rig - i can see why now. again not a dis, i was just curious. i've done the 3wheeling for years / ifs - is a prime example of 3wheeling...

i currently trying my best to get some flex out of mine - w/o major lift. and just running the stock d35c until it EXPLODES. i want to wheel 1st hand & bhreak **** & then replace it w/ parts that are stronger / better.

but again, right now, i want to achieve the flex as much as possible...

so i'am looking everywhere & gathering idea's. as soon as i get locker's - I'll be out there breaking ****... and i expect YOU to be right along side me, breaking **** as well.

HEY, I STILL HAVE MY JEEP! that should say something

I'm just sayuing take any rig with the stock suspension set-up and see if it wont pic a tire. I bet it does. Not trying to get in a pissing match with you, but on here you attitude is totally different from over on my site. Why is that, you trying to impress someone?? :kiss:

I know the limits of my rig and now I have confirmed them. It will ride at a 45 degree angle if I dont have a passenger. :redneck:

JOOP said:
I'm just sayuing take any rig with the stock suspension set-up and see if it wont pic a tire. I bet it does. Not trying to get in a pissing match with you, but on here you attitude is totally different from over on my site. Why is that, you trying to impress someone?? :kiss:

I know the limits of my rig and now I have confirmed them. It will ride at a 45 degree angle if I dont have a passenger. :redneck:

i don't think my attitude is different - I stood up for you & made you aware of when people talked about you, "Our" only gig... you & me is the Elbe thing.

other than that - I treat you w/ respect, here or there... you may see it differently though... but like now... i'am responding for all to see. you & me are just a couple of guys like the rest of 'em, that are into offroaders / etc.

i'm not here or there to make you feel bad or cut you down...

so don't get that IMPRESSION from me on here or there. I'M ALWAYS GOING TO GIVE YOU **** UNTIL YOU & ME DO BUSYWILD... other than that, don't go getting all wierd on me... I was just tripping on your rig not flexing, or looking like it wasn't flexing... until i saw that front pic -