• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinion's on the best material for Belly pan?

02Jimmy

First Buggy Build
Ready To build the Skid plate, I was thinking aluminium? I have been seeing some run the Plastic? Suggestions... If it matters all tube bouncer chassis

Attachments

• day15.jpg
    day15.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 139
greenlion said:
3/16" AR plate.
This! AR 400 is what they make the buckets and blades out of for heavy machinery, its kinda high, but it will break before you bend it! I had a 1/4 thick steel with 1/2 uhmw on mine when I first built it, after a few rides, it was bent up almost touching the bottom of the transfer case, changed it to ar400 with no plastic, and beat the hell out of it, and looks just like it did the first day!

Both of mine have 1/4" aluminum. Works well for me. Last one had 1/4" steel plate. Way too heavy. Then changed it to plastic with metal ribbed backing. But, beat it up pretty bad in the two years before we built Solo Buggy. 38 Special has countersunk allen bolts, Solo Buggy has 9/16 hex heads. I had had to replace both styles. Hex head is easier to get off when buggered up. Have had to grind a slot in the hex head countersunk to remove before.

I prefer steel over aluminum. It just seems to slide off of rocks better. Yeah its heavy but at least its down low. Also recessed bolts for a nice smooth bottom.

AR plate is stupid strong. It's almost slippery over the rocks. We just weld ours on because even drilling a hole in it is no joke.

Re:

3/16 AR400 is what I plan on running. We machine & weld thick AR plate all day long making excavator buckets @ work. Its badass stuff

1/8" steel with angle ribs covered with 3/4" uhmw. Plastic is held on with countersunk allen heads but my skid plate is designed where it is bolted to the chassis on the sides. Only one boogered bolt in two years.

Gotpropane said:
AR plate is stupid strong. It's almost slippery over the rocks. We just weld ours on because even drilling a hole in it is no joke.
I agree , if you have access to a Hougen mag drill youd be set .