• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinion's on the best material for Belly pan?

I used a plasma cutter to blow a hole in mine where I needed a bolt to go thru, and took a carbide bit with a die grinder and cleaned up the hole.

not a bad idea , I was thinking of a few of the posts about the heavy plastic or polymer plates some people use . seems like a pretty good idea . I can only imagine the strength a good 3/16 + plate of steel adds to your rig though .id go for that over saving some weight savings . how did you go about countersinking ?

I countersunk my 3/16 steel pan by cutting holes in it just big enough to fit a 9/16" socket. Then welded a short piece of tube to the skid plate with a heavy washer welded to top of it. My pan is 39" x 42" and I have fifteen 3/8" bolts holding it on with a fair amount of bracing underneath. I can remove it in about 30 seconds with an impact. The tubes are placed to that the pan self aligns when bolting it back in. It amazes me how many buggies I see with no belly pan. I like not having to worry about anything getting smashed from underneath.