• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinions on yota axles vs 40s

Need some opinions on running 40 inch maxxis treps on my buggy it's a light (3000 pound ) rear engine crawler the build is about 98% complete up to this point the build revolved around 38 inch super swampers been thinking of pulling the pin and getting some 40 inch treps on some race line wheels. The front is stuffed with rcv shafts. Just wanting some opinions let me have it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

You'll break thirds like it's your new job. I did it with 39 inch reds and an anemic 1.3 zuk motor

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
You'll break thirds like it's your new job. I did it with 39 inch reds and an anemic 1.3 zuk motor

All depends on driving style. Clemsonjeep on here runs 39" reds, and beats on it occasionally, and had zero problems.

Not to mention, he's still running his yota axles, same gears, same birfields, same stock rear axle shafts, from his original build about 9 years ago. Started with 37" tsl ssr's then went 39.5 irok's and now 39" reds. Oh by the way, he has a turbo now.

Re: Re:

easleycrawler said:
All depends on driving style. Clemsonjeep on here runs 39" reds, and beats on it occasionally, and had zero problems.
Is WOT a driving style?

Re:

If you get bound up, expect the weak link (the third) to pop like a zit on a teenage boys face

My buddy Bill runs them with 43 stickies. He can drive and pretty much knows exactly when to let out to keep from breaking. We ride together a lot and he typically walks everything we do. Last break I saw him have was a stock parts store brand driveshaft u-joint :****:

Attachments

• 20170401_172010.jpg
    20170401_172010.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170401_172036.jpg
    20170401_172036.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 121
Rokcrler said:
Bill is not running mini truck axles

Well...what's he running?

muddinmetal said:
If you go with 80 stuff and keep 4.10 is can and has been done.

The only real upgrade to 80 stuff is the rear axle being a 9.5" ring gear and I suppose full floating shafts are an upgrade too. The rear may also come with disc brakes depending on the year The front axle is wider and possibly "stronger" structurally, but the shafts don't gain strength like you'd think. The inner shaft is the designed weak point in aftermarket shafts so since the inner 80 and inner mini are the same size and same spline count they're on the same playing field. The upgrade you get from the shafts is the larger CV, but that really only extends the life of the CV due to being larger parts. The stub shaft is essentially the same between 80 and mini as well.

I ran 39" bfg reds for a good bit on mini truck axles and then fj80 axles. Had a 4.3, th350 and dual toyota cases. With the mini truck axles I immediately upgraded to the long field shafts through out the front. Then when I switched to FJ80's, they were all stock shafts.

Broke one rear full float shaft on the FJ80 axles. That was pretty much it that I can remember. Broke a output on the Tcase one time.

clemsonjeep said:
Well...what's he running?

The only real upgrade to 80 stuff is the rear axle being a 9.5" ring gear and I suppose full floating shafts are an upgrade too. The rear may also come with disc brakes depending on the year The front axle is wider and possibly "stronger" structurally, but the shafts don't gain strength like you'd think. The inner shaft is the designed weak point in aftermarket shafts so since the inner 80 and inner mini are the same size and same spline count they're on the same playing field. The upgrade you get from the shafts is the larger CV, but that really only extends the life of the CV due to being larger parts. The stub shaft is essentially the same between 80 and mini as well.

You get an automatic high pinion gain in the front as well, which as you know is pretty much required when going 37 and up. I also assumed they would go with the 30/30/30 fzj80 300m shafts from rcv as well

Ran 39" pitbulls [really light tire] on my yota with all the usual upgrades and never a problem the few times I wheeled it. Running 4.3, th350, duals with 4.7s and 4.88s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

muddinmetal said:
You get an automatic high pinion gain in the front as well, which as you know is pretty much required when going 37 and up. I also assumed they would go with the 30/30/30 fzj80 300m shafts from rcv as well

Yeah I forgot to mention that part...got caught up in all the 8" talk.

For reference...my rig has the high pinion in the front with a standard mini truck housing. There's an ARB in there and I also sent the ring and pinion to Bobby Long to have them heat/cryo treated. The gears themselves were just TG Trail Creeper ring and pinions. I'm running the original Longfields with their chromoly hub gear and stock IFS hubs. I've got IFS bearing hubs with 98 4Runner rotors and calipers on FROR brackets. It's running the TG trunnion eliminators with TG studs top and bottom.

The rear axle is an IFS housing with stock axle shafts. I swapped in an elocker from a 98 4runner, but send the side gears to Bobby Long with my ring and pinion to have them treated as well. The brakes are FJ Cruiser parts with brackets from Golden State Motorsports on Pirate.

The only failure I've had axle related to this point has been one outer hub gear, but I rode with it broken on several trips. Like easleycrawler said...I finished the first build on my rig back in 2009 on 37" SSR's and took it out west to Moab and a few other spots. It went all over the southeast before I swapped to 39.5 Iroks approx. 3 years later. Those tires worked great for my rig, but then a little more than a year ago I found a good deal on a set of 39" reds and haven't looked back.

The front may be ok with it being a lighter rig and rear engine.

Just don't romp on it a lot or it will break.

I broke about every moving part with 37reds, that was over about 5 years (all mini truck/low pinion/8in stuff). But, I have been told that I'm rough on my rig.

And Bill runs some kind of fj stuff just FYI.

Edit: I can't spell today

Also, I think Zayne's rear engine rig had a toyota front end. Maybe he will chime in.

Me personally, I wouldn't run 40in treps on mini truck stuff, but that's just my 2c.