• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Oregon creek n trail

pokey

just me
Last weekend Lee and I took a little jaunt (400m) down to Obrien Ore. for the 29th annual creek and trail event. We had a great time the weather was good and the event was well done. We all met up at the Obrien country store and left early on sat. morning for the Mgrew trailhead. We all stopped at the trailhead for a weed and mud inspection by the FS plant biologist as well as a little talk about invasive weeds. (thought we had it tough up here) After we all passed the test we were allowed onto the trail in groups of ten or so. (there were about 70 rigs) so the spacing was a good thing. The trail itself wasn't real challenging but defiantly had some fun spots in it. Lots of rocks with a few good ledges. There trail is about 12 miles long and ends up at the camping spot where two river come together. This is right up against the wilderness boundary. Much of the trail goes through the Biscuit fire area from several years ago which burned something like 25,000 acres (thank you treehuggers) the area is almost void of any wildlife and the under brush is just starting to grow. Halfway along the route we met up with 3 FS biologists that were guarding a area from us to protect some sensitive plants off the trail. Along with them was the local ORV ranger keeping a eye on us. Meanwhile back up the trail at a spot called the sluicebox several of the locals were busy trashing the area. I asked the ranger why he wasn't there and he said he couldn't get there in his truck :eeek: We got into the camp area about 4:00 and found a spot among the rocks to set up camp for the night. This is a event put on by region 6 of the PNW4WDA and is very well done. They had a steak feed on sat. night along with potatoes bread and salad with strawberry shortcake for desert. There was a husband and wife banjo guitar band that provided music around the fire all evening. It was nice to be able to enjoy the fire and the music and still be able to chat with friends. Sunday morning brought on a great pancake and egg breakfast with some of the best ham I have ever had. After breakfast we packed up and headed back out running some of the trail mixed with fireroads and got back to Obrien about 1:30. Had some lunch and then headed down to the Oregon caves for a while. On the way out from there we found a nice mustang stuck in the ditch with a couple from England just fretting over what to do. Took us all of about 5 minutes to have them back up on the road and on their way. Went on back to camp and had a nice dinner and evening with our hosts (Randy and Mona Drake from the Deschutes county 4 wheelers) Got up on Monday morning and loaded up. Got out about 9 and got home about 6:15. It was a great trip and I plan on going back next year for the 30th anniv. So here some pics. Enjoy

Attachments

• leavingcamp.jpg
    leavingcamp.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 220
  • trailstart.jpg
    trailstart.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 223
  • sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 224
  • weed inspection.jpg
    weed inspection.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 222
  • rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 216
more

Attachments

• monas rock.jpg
    monas rock.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 205
  • leerocks.jpg
    leerocks.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 205
  • danrocks.jpg
    danrocks.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 207
  • hombre.jpg
    hombre.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 201
  • dansflat.jpg
    dansflat.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 200
more

Attachments

• leemud.jpg
    leemud.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 198
  • danmud.jpg
    danmud.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 195
  • monamud.jpg
    monamud.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 200
  • bigrocks.jpg
    bigrocks.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 197
  • fswatchdogs.jpg
    fswatchdogs.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 197
camp and such

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 193
  • dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 193
  • campfire.jpg
    campfire.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 2rivers.jpg
    2rivers.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 197
Random pics

Attachments

• 2wheels.jpg
    2wheels.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 198
  • burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 192
  • moreburn.jpg
    moreburn.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 195
  • lineup.jpg
    lineup.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 193
  • stinger.jpg
    stinger.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 193
Sticker says: 'Don't Worry..." Can't make the rest out.

Nice pictures. Looked like fun. Although I think that one tire was "aired down" a little too low....

Sticker says: 'Don't Worry..." Can't make the rest out.

Nice pictures. Looked like fun. Although I think that one tire was "aired down" a little too low....

"dont worry theres still two tires on the ground"

yep, ripped off the valve stem.

Hi All:

Pokey, thanks for sharing!

Good to see an old school rig like that orange CJ-5 on the trail! :awesomework:

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

Pokey, thanks for sharing!

Good to see an old school rig like that orange CJ-5 on the trail! :awesomework:

Regards,

Alan

Thats Lees 76 cj5 from my club. pretty basic jeeping jeep. 360 t-18, 44 axles with 4:27s and detroits dana 20 tc with 4:1 low range gears. 4" lift sua with 35" BFGs

This looks like a fun trail system. Where exactly in Oregon is it?

Obrien, about 30 miles sw of Grants pass. almost in cali. in fact the road back from the camp spot goes in and out of cali. I could feel the chill every time we crossed over the leftist border :haha:

Nice pics...

So, were the rangers there just for this event because of the number of rigs???

I can not answer for the "Creek and Trail" event. But from what I read it sounds like the number of people in attendence would of required a USFS Special Use permit.

As far as the weed inspection. That may of been a requirement of the permit. It depends on how the permit was written. When I was applying for the permits required for the "Trail Jamboree" we tried to be proactive to show the FS that we took a postive approach to the Forest Practices.

Currently it is within FS practice to wash the undercarriage of the vehicle I drive each day before it is put away ready for the next days service. This is something the FS wishs to impress upon each forest user as part of being a responsible user.

They were there for the event. What really pissed people off is while he was busy checking over our rigs for weeds and mud a couple of local kids drove up in a cherocar covered in mud and they were just waved right through because they wern't with the event :mad: Seems the more legit you try to be the harder the goverment steps on your toes :booo:

Latest posts