• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pane tank question

NotSoPC

Is there a difference in propane tanks? I don't use pane for anything so I have never had to deal with the tanks before. I am planning a trail only rig with my brother to start building after the move and was wanting to run pane on a SBC. Would a 40lb tank of the shelf at the local feed store for $97 work when sitting on its side? Is there a reason so many seem to be running fork lift tanks? Is there a pick up needed? Any help clearing this up would be great. Thanks.:awesomework:

It has to be a liquid draw tank. BBQ and home tanks are vapor. A 10 gallon forklift tank will fuel a sbc all day no problem. Forklift tanks are easy, the dot certified tanks are harder to come by and really expensive. Patience with tuning is key though, a lot of folks who have issues with it do not tune it properly. I love my setup, only reason I would ever get rid of it is to throw an lsx in the car.

It has to be a liquid draw tank. BBQ and home tanks are vapor. A 10 gallon forklift tank will fuel a sbc all day no problem. Forklift tanks are easy, the dot certified tanks are harder to come by and really expensive. Patience with tuning is key though, a lot of folks who have issues with it do not tune it properly. I love my setup, only reason I would ever get rid of it is to throw an lsx in the car.

Ok thanks. I was hoping I would be able to have a long ass run time on a single tank, but if a forklift tank will run all day then cool. Maybe set it up with two tanks. We plan to be using it a good distance from any form of gas station so being able to go for extended times was the goal.

I have two tanks for my 4.3. I rarely go through more then a couple gallons a day. I would suck 1/2 a tank with my turbo on it easily. Now maybe a 1/3. Like I said earlier tuning is critical. I only run an 8 gallon tanks Fwiw.

I am really unfamiliar with propane. I know motors tend to stay cleaner and that it acts like fuel injection without all the wiring.

I use an upside down forklift tank for my BBQ burner! Am I ghetto? :haha:

Propane is simple. GAS or LIQUID, what do you want?

Gas to cook, Liq to drive with.

Gas comes off the top, Liquid comes off the bottom via a straw.

All I know is that I was on a trip in Oregon where someone tried to use some BBQ tanks to extend the range on their propane rig. It ended in us have to stop every 15 minutes so they could swap tanks or let them warm up or whatever. Not a lot of fun.

With propane tanks. Would it be unsafe to mount the tank in the rear of a Samurai and still run the soft top?

Seen pictures of rigs doing it, but Got Propane says no go in SUVs or trunks. I assume that is cause in the case of a leak the vapor would need a place to go.

Seen pictures of rigs doing it, but Got Propane says no go in SUVs or trunks. I assume that is cause in the case of a leak the vapor would need a place to go.

My thought to, but with a soft top there should be enough air coming in to offset the vapors? I mean from the factory there is a 3" void in the top where the spare tire would normally be. It would be a bitch trying to mount it where the factory tank is.

Apparently there are also laws on the books for most states on how much propane you can carry in an enclosed vehicle. But all I can find is pages talking about the law:

The law places limits on the number of cylinders and the amount of propane that can be transported in closed-bodied vehicles such as passenger cars and vans. Ask your propane retailer for more information on state and local codes that apply to you.

My thought to, but with a soft top there should be enough air coming in to offset the vapors? I mean from the factory there is a 3" void in the top where the spare tire would normally be. It would be a bitch trying to mount it where the factory tank is.

Propane is heavier than air, so it would flow downhill and settle in your footwell (or whatever the lowest point is) and build upwards until it finds a spark and explodes. I've worked on boats that had propane settle in the bilge until it found a spark. Results are pretty impressive!