• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Part out or sell complete 76 CJ-7

GrahamCracker

Hey guys, need some advise on how to proceed with the sale of one of my rigs. Bought a 76 CJ-7 a couple of years ago and with the illusion that I was a better mechanic than I actually am, and bit off more than I can chew.. After investing a good chunk of change into it. As it currently sits, I've got a 304 that needs carb tuning (no smoking, idles fine once warm. Just no power when you get on it). Factory TH400 that leaks ATF like nobody's business, and the Quadratrac t-case with aftermarket part time 4wd that seems to be in ok shape. Where I went wrong was:

Brand new 2.5" Rancho lift and shocks, .5" Currie shackles, & quick disconnects
Corbeau low back buckets
ARB front winch bumper
LoD rear tire carrier bumper
5- 33x10.5x17 Cooper AT tires on 17" Eagle alloys, probably about 100 miles on them since new

Full cage which i pulled out and painted before reinstalling with all stainless fasteners.

Do I part it out and try and recoup some of my money, or just take a bath on it and hope someone else can finish her off and actually use her?

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

Nick

Fix the trans leak and get it to run better then list it for what you have into it. If you value your time, parting it out doesnt look profitable.

Fix the trans leak and get it to run better then list it for what you have into it. If you value your time, parting it out doesnt look profitable.

I honestly wish I had time. If I could get $5k out of it I'd probably be happy. Especially if I knew someone would actually use it, rather than it just sitting in the carport collecting dust.

The front seal is probably leaking on it from sitting, pretty common with those. I'd adjust the price for a tranny rebuild Get the carb tuned so it runs decent. Shouldn't be to hard to sell like that.

You guys are all infinitely more mechanically advanced than myself!

From the sounds of it so is my wife. :flipoff:

No really, she swapped the engine out of my wheeler into her new truck one week while I was out on the road. :redneck: All that was left was for me to build exhaust and away she went.

Anyway, sounds like a good investment would be to find someone willing to do some side work and have them pull and reseal the trans and give the carb a once over and sell it for decent cash. If i was closer I'd do it in a heartbeat.