peugeot trans swaps

Robinhood

A freind wants to swap in an ax15 into his 87 Wrangler
Will any ax15 work?
Will his clutch work?
Any other mods needed?
Thanks John

Last edited:
There are so many write ups on this, so google is your best friend.

I will give you a few pointers though.

A 1994+ AX-15 is the one you want (External slave, you will have to get one). The pilot bushing can be tricky, there was like 3 different sizes on the BA/10 and the AX-15 will be different. I believe the AX-15 is longer than the BA/10 and its way bigger, so you may need to modify your t-case shifter. 87 T-case I believe is a 21 spline input gear and the AX-15 is a 23 spline. Last the clutch might work but since your in there, its a great time to get it done.

Its a big job, almost easier to put in an entire new drive train. That is what i kept saying doing my swap.

Good luck :awesomework:

I have an Ax 15 with the 231 mated, with the shifters and linkage for sale

Any will work, ideally you'll land a 94 and up to get the internal slave. If you don't, you can convert it to internal by getting a newer bellhousing and tcase input cover.

Pilot pushing may or may not be an issue, first and last one I did, the one from the AX-15 rebuild kit fir the 88 4.2L just fine. YMMV

Tcase shifter bracket needed re-worked, you'll use your old one plus a part off the "new" one. (IIRC)

Transmission mount will need some work, I forget what we did there, but it wasn't complicated or real time consuming. (required drilling, but can't recall if welding was involved) Don't forget, how your exhaust hangs off it will change.

The tcase isn't a big deal, ideally you have one already mated up to it. Worst case you'll need a new input shaft for the tcase and have to tear it clear down to swap it.

We completed the job in what would have been a 10-12hr or so day had I not ran out of time in the evening helping the guy.

Yeah but then he gets the internal slave. Yes it is more convenient since its ready but im sure someone out there is selling a 94. When i was doing my swap i had to have my buddy's dad make a pilot bushing. Not to hard to do if you know someone with a lathe though. The only other issue we had swapping in was the t case mount and tranny mount but i believe that doesnt matter on the YJ's.