• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Plowboy Rebuild - KOH Prep 2015

The way all this is starting out it seems like a lot of things were done "wrong" last year best of luck I y'all!!! Can't wait to see it out there in Cali again!

TacomaJD said:
There has been a few hands in this buggy's fabrication. The most recent was when EOR redone a lot of **** on it in this very same fashion to get it ready to compete in KOH last year. Same ole story, pressed for time, wanted to do more, but done what they could before race time, etc, etc. It done alright, had a tranny failure in the race, no idea if he competed in SRRS the rest of this year bc I don't keep up with SRRS anymore, now WOD is apparently getting a shot at prepping it for KOH and changing some things up. In no way, shape, form, or fashion, do I believe that this has any room to turn into a "Well WOD is now fixing EOR's ****" thread, but I assume some will try to illustrate that picture.

EOR was busy as **** last year when they had this buggy in getting it ready for KOH, because that's when I was in the middle of getting my front end linked and ordering coilovers/swapping springs with EOR. They had a lot going on then aside from all the work Jimmy was doing on this buggy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were just too busy to make the commitment to **** with it this year. Or Richie could have just wanted to give WOD a chance to try their hand at KOH race prep, which is totally understandable. Both very renowned businesses in the offroad world on this coast.

Not trying to start anything but by what you just said your basically saying if a place is busy or something it's ok to half ass it. For the shocks that was under this thing it should ride like a Cadillac but it bounced around like a pinball and it spit driveshafts out like toothpicks and that had to be the geometry of the suspension was not right. You don't see Bobby's buggy doing that and has similar power and same type driving style. This is just my opinion.

Re: Re: Re:

patooyee said:
Oh, and rent a rig for back door to rip the rear end out of. ;-)
Middlefangers pointed in all directions from JJ. I need to get you a spoon and a bigger pot :)

Eric Hagan......I mean Kel Lawrence

Re: Re: Re: Plowboy Rebuild - KOH Prep 2015

Neal3000 said:
This all day long, build or buy a chassis designed for go-fast.
This. I just got a jimmy 4x4 chassis to play with. Chassis aren't even the same between bounce and go fast. I'm taking a year to learn it before considering going out there, and even then I'm going to get my butt handed to me.

Buggy has been rolled beat patched back flipped tranny swapped and rolled and rolled again.

Same as Bobby's buggy these things need attention if they are abused to this level glad it's getting it.
Good luck with the build

BUG-E J said:
Jesus if you roll it every single time you look at a hill its hard to not have damage like that. I think its been holdin up damn good considering. :****:
And what happened to the green and tan custom seats?
I'm not looking at it from the damage aspect......im going further up to the root cause.

It's sits alot higher than others and the links looked more 90 ' s monster truck angled.

It just never looked as stable or balanced as it did in version one.

tonybolton said:
I'm not looking at it from the damage aspect......im going further up to the root cause.

It's sits alot higher than others and the links looked more 90 ' s monster truck angled.

It just never looked as stable or balanced as it did in version one.

I thought the same thing. Always looked bouncy and unstable.

Have any of you ever watched this buggy before the make over, its always been pretty bouncy. EOR Im sure did the best they could without building a whole new buggy, when your working around a frame that had already been rolled and tweaked like this buggy has been, it would be aggravating as crap to get it dialed in. I personally would have never even took the task on. I would have said lets start from scratch or no dice. Both EOR and Woodlee are excellent builders, so lets not start throwing gas on a fire by comparing eggs to sausage trying to figure out who did what. I personally think the best thing that could happen to the suspension on this buggy would be to pull some horsepower out of his motor, nothing against Ritchie, Im sure he is a great guy but I don't think his reflexes are fast enough for this buggy.Not every obstacle needs to be hit wide open, but if your in it to make videos this is probably the most entertaining way.

And everyone always comments about screaming blue about how good it holds up, Go back and look at the videos, I don't know for sure but I would guess that Bryan has cut the top off of this buggy and replaced it 4-5 times, he just does it well enough that you cant tell it. When these buggys get beat like this, things are going to bend and break no matter who builds it or what material is used.Any body that tells you anything different is trying to sell you something that doesn't exist.

Do what you do Wide Open and good luck on the rebuild, Im sure it will look great again, and be fast.

WideOpenDesign said:
Cole, the plan is 43's at this point.

Ok, well when it was rebuilt last year it was built to run 40s not 43s. Also how do you plan to keep the atlas alive with 43s in the desert? Tireballs add around another 20lbs per tire also.

I do have something Ive wondered since last year, why did they go to a 400 trans instead of the glide that was in it, both have the same drive ratio? And how did he get qualified to get back in the race this year?

I like how everyone is asking why not build a new rig lol. Richie loves this buggy and I'm sure it will never b stripped down he is old school meaning he doesn't think like the younger generation (just throw it away and get a new one) it was built by men it gets just as hard as any buggy out there but its his and he wants to keep it and have it rebuilt so there is your answer. Second I'm sure he went to the th400 just like everyone else in koh who has went to them or the 4l80e more gears lowers engine loadmakes for better throttle control. Better fuel economy believe it or not. I don't know exactly what happend to last years trans but I'd guess trans over heated resulting in burning up the clutches. The change in gear should resolve this as long as they keep engine heats down. Seems like there plan to move radiator to the rear is the solution. Seems to me Adam has thought this out and has a great plan to give this buggy the best chance to complete the race. Witch I'm sure is Richie's goal he knows winning is a long shot but completing the race is a big deal to most anyone