• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Plowboy Rebuild - KOH Prep 2015

Cole said:
Ok, well when it was rebuilt last year it was built to run 40s not 43s. Also how do you plan to keep the atlas alive with 43s in the desert? Tireballs add around another 20lbs per tire also.

I believe they are gonna install some pillows into the atlas to help dampen any shock loads

I've got got alot of dirt track experience. I've saw a few seats bent like that and it's not from the chassis bending It's from the occupant moving around. It's impossible to get the belts tight enough and I'm going to guess that those seats are made to just ride around in not KOH.

One big thing that i don't like about the plowboy buggy is the visability sucks over the hood which sucks for endurance racing, not as big a deal for bouncing i guess. He's obvoiusly not going to try and be competitive but to be part of it and put on a show (which is cool) or he would be doing this 100% differently.

Strictly speaking as a fan, the lead up to KOH 2014 for plowboy was awesome but the race coverage fell flat. Remember "deere in the desert," being the first "bouncer" in KOH, the whole southern boy taking it to the west coasters brand that was built around team plowboy? To hell with those fkers, I was pumped! Maybe nobody else viewed it like that, but i did, and I wish someone would follow it through this year and video the before, during, and after. That's a video I'd buy.

We dug into this thing hard this week and got a lot of the stuff out of the way that we wanted to change. We decided that we wanted to move all of the suspension points on the chassis except for the rear lower link mounts. We jumped in and removed everything that we wanted to and cleaned up the frame where the mounts were. We measured and figured we can get 6.5" of up travel in the front of the buggy with a 22" belly height. The rear will easily get 8' of up travel. The front axle is re-tubed now; and it will be going in next week along with setting up the front suspension. Hopefully, by the time the front axle is in place and the front suspension is done the rear axle will be re-tubed. Then we can carry on with the rear suspension.

We are leaving some of the tube work in the rear until the new radiator gets here and we see how it fits. Richie really wants to mount it down low, so we are going to see if we can make that happen for him. As soon as we get that crossed off the list we will go into mounting the shocks. We are leaving some of the current tube work until that happens. The plan is to do a pretty cool rear shock mount that is kind of desert inspired. That will give us a good place to end the old tube work and start off with the new tubes.

We also cut out the front shock mounts on the front of the chassis. We only cut out a portion of these right now. We needed to leave enough to visualize the theme of the buggy throughout the rebuild. It's just a little easier to see where you're going with a few tubes out there for reference. All of the front tube work from the frame rails up will be replaced before the build is done. It's been a nasty week for these guys getting this thing cut back to where we can work with it. Next week will get back to fabricating. Hopefully, next week we can make the turn and get this thing headed back in the direction of running and driving again.

From all of us here at Wide Open Design have a happy Thanksgiving; and if you're headed to RBD afterwards, look us up. There will be a few of us from the shop out there trail riding and having fun.

DSC_0836.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

DSC_0858.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

DSC_0871.JPG

DSC_0830_1.JPG

DSC_0884.JPG

Check out a few more pics at http://www.wideopendesign.com/Project/24/PlowBoy-KOH-Rebuild-Version-3-0.aspx

Re:

Damn 8' in the rear. Awesome up travel. Just picking at the typo. Lol. Looks good. Maybe one day I will be half as good as y'all.

Really cool seeing all the changes! Not to derail this but how is the new plow boy rig comeing?

Look like a checklist taped on the side of the rig, seems like another builder on this forum was told some helpful advice like that and doesn't seem to have capitalized on it :****:

Thanks to WOD for taking the challenge of getting buggy ready for KOH and when get home I will race it more this season on tracks that doesn't need lots of HP. Adam and I are not throwing rocks at anyone, we are just trying to upgrade it so Brandon Dillion and I can finish the KOH. I never thought I would be competitive with the legends of KOH, so lets learn together how to make buggys better and safer. OH I forgot our new buggy will be at KOH to run the buggy challenge and I think WOD has built a buggy that NOBODY to date has come even close to fabricating. I also want to thank Bryan Cole for the time he spent in the beginning helping me. I know haters are gonna hate but the new buggy has a motor in it that will blow my first buggy away.

I can't imagine the confidence that Rickie must have in Adam to take a great buggy and give it to him and say " make it better Adam". And I can't imagine the confidence Adam must have in himself and his staff to take this great buggy and tell Richie "I can make it better". Thanks to you guys this sport gets better every day!

plow boy said:
Thanks to WOD for taking the challenge of getting buggy ready for KOH and when get home I will race it more this season on tracks that doesn't need lots of HP. Adam and I are not throwing rocks at anyone, we are just trying to upgrade it so Brandon Dillion and I can finish the KOH. I never thought I would be competitive with the legends of KOH, so lets learn together how to make buggys better and safer. OH I forgot our new buggy will be at KOH to run the buggy challenge and I think WOD has built a buggy that NOBODY to date has come even close to fabricating. I also want to thank Bryan Cole for the time he spent in the beginning helping me. I know haters are gonna hate but the new buggy has a motor in it that will blow my first buggy away.
seen both the old plowboy and the new buggy two weeks ago ...that new buggy has a motor that ain't nothing to **** with :****: