• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pocket gun .380 talk.

PORTER

I am in the market for something small, I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard, or Ruger LCP. Anybody with hands on experience want to enlighten me on why should I pick one over the other? The ruger goes for 289.00 and the Smith for 409.00, any reason I should spend the extra on the bodyguard? I am only looking at a small pocket gun as I have a Glock 27 40 cal so I don't need to hear I should buy something bigger etc. School me.:corn:

The thing I didn't like about the Bodyguard was the square back; has the possibility of hanging up in your pocket when drawing it out of your pocket.

But, the Bodyguards that I have handled seem to have a better trigger.

I ended up with an LCP and feel it is a decent pocket gun. I think having a silky smooth trigger pull doesn't matter much on a gun that is used as a last resort type weapon.

I really liked the Kel-tec I handled, but have heard of people having issues with them.

The thing I didn't like about the Bodyguard was the square back; has the possibility of hanging up in your pocket when drawing it out of your pocket.

But, the Bodyguards that I have handled seem to have a better trigger.

I ended up with an LCP and feel it is a decent pocket gun. I think having a silky smooth trigger pull doesn't matter much on a gun that is used as a last resort type weapon.
So your pretty happy with your purchase correct? I am leaning towards the LCP also, but think the Bodyguard just seems like a more better quality piece if that makes sense. I also noticed the same things you talked about too, my main concern is something I can put in a pocket and no matter what I am doing it wont limit my movement or have to constantly adjust it to the position I am in(sitting, etc). Both come from companys with great customer service, and are known for building a quality product so I am not worried there.

I shot a buddy's LCP and I didn't like it. My big hands made it hard to control my aim at a quick aim/fire. But your hands are a lil smaller mike so I think it might fit ya.

I shot a buddy's LCP and I didn't like it. My big hands made it hard to control my aim at a quick aim/fire. But your hands are a lil smaller mike so I think it might fit ya.
You must have some long fingers my friend. A lot of these pocket guns are pretty small and not real comfortable, but it is what it is and wont be a shooter. Just something to toss in the pocket while I am at work, or walking round town with the fam. The Glock will be used for those other times.

Last edited:
So your pretty happy with your purchase correct? I am leaning towards the LCP also, but think the Bodyguard just seems like a more better quality piece if that makes sense. I also noticed the same things you talked about too, my main concern is something I can put in a pocket and no matter what I am doing it wont limit my movement or have to constantly adjust it to the position I am in(sitting, etc). Both come from companys with great customer service, and are known for building a quality product so I am not worried there.

Yes I am. I have put about 100 rounds through it and have had no problems. I carry it in my pocket everywhere I can and hardly notice it. I wanted it for the same reason you do, and I figured if its easier to carry I'm more likely to carry it.

Yes I am. I have put about 100 rounds through it and have had no problems. I carry it in my pocket everywhere I can and hardly notice it. I wanted it for the same reason you do, and I figured if its easier to carry I'm more likely to carry it.
Sweet man, thanks for your input.:cool:

I may or may not have a LCP, but it's super easy to put in a front pocket with a Desantis Nemasis pocket holster. Can't even tell it's there from outside the pocket or carrying it around. It's snappy as to be expected from a small pistol.
Get the finger extension bottom plate for the mags, without it, the pistol feels like it's going to fall out of my hand, at least for me.

Pros:
I like it over the bodyguard because it is simple stupid, pull trigger = go bang (Like my LCR).
I like the look of it, simple, nothing to snag on.
I like the crimson trace laser on it, I feel it is a must with the limited/non-existant sights on the slide. (another great feature for no snag extraction)

Cons:
LONG HEAVY trigger pull as to be expected from a DAO pistol.
I don't like that my index finger gets a little pinch after each shot, having longer fingers I don't use the pad of my index finger, but the first joint to set on the trigger.

I'm sure there is more to add... but that's a quick run-down. :redneck:

With the standard capacity mag it can be harder to conceal. :redneck:

Note the clip, it's a mod that was done to mine that uses a kel-tec clip. :awesomework:

Last edited:
I may or may not have a LCP, but it's super easy to put in a front pocket with a Desantis Nemasis pocket holster. Can't even tell it's there from outside the pocket or carrying it around. It's snappy as to be expected from a small pistol.
Get the finger extension bottom plate for the mags, without it, the pistol feels like it's going to fall out of my hand, at least for me.

Pros:
I like it over the bodyguard because it is simple stupid, pull trigger = go bang (Like my LCR).
I like the look of it, simple, nothing to snag on.
I like the crimson trace laser on it, I feel it is a must with the limited/non-existant sights on the slide. (another great feature for no snag extraction)

Cons:
LONG HEAVY trigger pull as to be expected from a DAO pistol.
I don't like that my index finger gets a little pinch after each shot, having longer fingers I don't use the pad of my index finger, but the first joint to set on the trigger.

I'm sure there is more to add... but that's a quick run-down. :redneck:

With the standard capacity mag it can be harder to conceal. :redneck:

Note the clip, it's a mod that was done to mine that uses a kel-tec clip. :awesomework:
Thanks Boonie, I believe you answered some of my questions in the past. With that extra cap mag one may need to have the morning wood holster.:D

My wife carries an LCP everywhere, and it fits well in just about everything pocket, coat, holster, shorts...etc. like boonie said it kicks like any little gun will but it's not a target shooter. That doesn't stop my wife tho, she's a damn good shot with it. Gotta buy good ammo for it, real susceptible to jamming with the cheep ****, that's really the only unexpected downfall. Right price for what it is too.

So is there anybody that has a bodyguard that has an experienced opinion to give. Comparing the 2 I definately like the feel of the bodyguard better, size is very comparable tho the LCP is sleeker like many have said. I will be purchasing next week after I think on it.

all these posts about being snappy and jambs, is posably an issue with limp wristing it?
i had a friend that had failure to feed on every one of there pistols, i cleaned them all then shot them, not a single issue, returned them and they still couldnt feed. then i shot with them.... it was obvious....

I used to pocket carry one in a Desantis pocket holster 'til my wife decided she needed it more than I did.:D Only trouble we've had with it was the laser but S&W took care of it. I'm definitely going to get another one 'cuz they're so easy to carry.

all these posts about being snappy and jambs, is posably an issue with limp wristing it?
i had a friend that had failure to feed on every one of there pistols, i cleaned them all then shot them, not a single issue, returned them and they still couldnt feed. then i shot with them.... it was obvious....

this happened first few times my wife shot my ruger..its a common issue..

Update, I ended picking up the S&W Bodyguard today. The main factor in my decision was that it was just more comfortable in my hand, I believe both are very good quality and would suit my intended use of a light compact pistol to toss in the pocket for those times that I don't need to carry my Glock. Thanks for those that gave an honest opinion.:beer: