• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powder Coat

Can you post a few pics? I've done a good bit of powder coating and never had a staining issue. Have you put any chemicals on it? The worst I've seen is if mud gets on it and you just rinse the mud off it leaves a film.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Are you going to powder coat your chassis? I'm on the fence, I would like to be able to touch it up easily. So I was thinking about painting. All the green parts will be powder minus the diff covers.

ranger11 said:
Can you post a few pics? I've done a good bit of powder coating and never had a staining issue. Have you put any chemicals on it? The worst I've seen is if mud gets on it and you just rinse the mud off it leaves a film.

I have heard of it happening. Just seeing if that's common.
Dirt700 said:
Are you going to powder coat your chassis? I'm on the fence, I would like to be able to touch it up easily. So I was thinking about painting. All the green parts will be powder minus the diff covers.

Yes I'm going to powder. Suppose to be able to get some spray cans of touch up paint from the coater.

To me powder coat is nicer than paint. But it's impossible to the end user to touch up easily. Powder coat shouldn't fade or scratch like paint, usually it chips off. There are different blends if powder coat that have different wear properties. But back to the op question it shouldn't stain.

Re: Re: Powder Coat

kmcminn said:
I have heard of it happening. Just seeing if that's common.
Yes I'm going to powder. Suppose to be able to get some spray cans of touch up paint from the coater.
I was under the impression it happened to you.... Whatever is sold to you in a spray can isn't a powder coat. It takes not only a special machine but also heat to cure powder coat. Anything in a can is hardened paint.

I was not able to get any touch up paint with my color, maybe because it's a 3 stage powder????

More than likely you got a honest person that's not gonna give or sell you something that is in possible to have. If powder coat in a can was available people would buy it and use it. Not spend the money it takes to do a coating job correctly.

ranger11 said:
More than likely you got a honest person that's not gonna give or sell you something that is in possible to have. If powder coat in a can was available people would buy it and use it. Not spend the money it takes to do a coating job correctly.

I'm pretty sure they just supply them a paint thats the same color code. I've never heard of anyone trying to sell powder coat in a can.

All I'm saying is you can't touch up powder coat. Yeah you can add paint that's close in color it's not a match. Be like saying yeah you have a steel chassis here's some aluminum tube to put in. Yeah it could work but it's not the same material.

kmcminn said:
Touch up...
Anything in a can is paint. Yes paint can be matched to powder on the color scale to an extent hence why you can't match two or three stage powders, they are two different things like I mentioned above. But if your worried about staining if the powder was applied correctly you should not have a staining problem.

Well I may powder, depending on cost. I just know once it gets scratched up, I'm gonna want fix. I'm almost regretting doing my beadlock rings now.

Clayton Hollingsworth done mine and done a great job, if you are interested PM me I'll send you his number.

I would pay extra to buy stuff in bare steel vs powder coat.... f'n hate that stuff..... epoxy paint for me.

poolman said:
Clayton Hollingsworth done mine and done a great job, if you are interested PM me I'll send you his number.
Thanks, there is a local guy that does really good work and pretty reasonable price. Clayton does great work, but that's a long haul for me. Here's my wheels with tire mounted
0b1159b27c9692273ad718f13bbd61a9.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gottagofast said:
I would pay extra to buy stuff in bare steel vs powder coat.... f'n hate that stuff..... epoxy paint for me.
What brand of epoxy paint?

Eddyj said:
Krylon...
Rustoleum is for fancy folks

Sorry for messing up your rich people thread
I was going to get my paint from Dollar store, can't afford even krylon now.

I had a gayzr that was white powder and a buggy that was white spray paint at the same time. From 10 feet they look the same. The spray paint does come off easier but they both stain about the same. If you plan on beating and wheeling it like it should be done rattle can all the way. If you want a show buggy that you hand wash as soon as anything touches it and the painted parts never touch a rock its worth the powder coat. If i built a new buggy today i wouldnt put a drop of paint on it. **** is wwwaaayyyyy over rated if you really beat on it.