• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's the best way to strip powder coat???

ole heep

I have a few parts that are powder coated and I would like to change the color on them. I personally have tried to blast them and that just completely sucks!
I Googled this subject and seems that chemical stripping is the way to go, then blast them for final finish. Anyone have any other ideas or know of someone in the Knoxville Tn area that can chemically strip these parts for me? The parts are a winch bumper, a-arms, radius arms.

I had a bumper redone once. The powder coater used some kind of kiln or oven to burn it off then blasted. Surprisingly, no warpage that I noticed

You can powder over powder if the original is in good condition. I've had it done changing the color of a cage

We powdercoat daily and the best way is to sand blast it. Yes you can use a chemical stripper but your rolling the dice when you have it re-done as you might get solvent pop and mess up the new coating.

In my experience powdercoat self strips in about 6 months... just get a little nick in it... lol

X25 on the sandblasting.

chemical strip is the best way. Most powder coating places will know who could sandblast it for you if they cant.
second is to burn it. oxy acel setup will burn it off, but then you still have to blast it, and its a slow sand blasting process depending on what blasting equipment you have access to.

If you can find someone locally who uses dustless blasting, they can get it off pretty quick and shouldn't charge to much.

Re:

Shell blast is the best I have found, then prep it with oxide blast.

I am looking for someone "local" to help me out! I have 2 "good size" company's that do a lot of quality work around here but charge as much as just replacing the parts with a new ones. I realize blasting takes time! Just looking for a possible easier way to do it.

Where are you located first? hard to help you find anyone local if we dont know what local is.

sandblast will take it off. if you need a chemical, b15 is what you want. soak it and wash it off. Before its coated again it needs to outgas for about 30 mins at 450*

gottagofast said:
In my experience powdercoat self strips in about 6 months... just get a little nick in it... lol

X25 on the sandblasting.

if this is your experience, your parts werent coated correctly.

Re:

I do powder coat so my suggestion would be start with aircraft stripper and if that does not cut it Columbia coatings has a stripper you can get by the gallon for about $50.
As a last resort b17 will remove anything and everything including your body parts so leave that for the pros.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk