• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powder coating coilover springs?

Back in my motocross days we always powdered the springs never hurt anything!!

I had one set of springs I know was powder coated at least 3 diff times they never felt any different I say gas it powder the hell out of em

Found this article stating temperature must remain below 350 degrees to be safe. I'm gonna ask him tomorrow if he has some way of powdering at a lower temperature. If they can give 350 or under a go, I'll probably let him to do it.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/powdercoating.htm

And here's a quote that's pro-powder coating I found from another forum. Relates more to the temps Nick described relating to annealing of the spring steel.

"Powder coat is more flexible than paint or chrome. As far as the heating changing the spring characteristics, it takes much more than 350 F to do that. Depending on the steel alloy it is more like 1600 degrees. I can consult some engineering data if need be but the heat margin is very wide between what it takes to cure the powder and what it takes to "soften" the steel. "

TacomaJD said:
WTF! Apparently black is all EOR stocks/orders then, bc I asked about red springs when I ordered. :wtflol:
No cause they sent me all black and when I swapped upper front springs out they showed up blue. thats how I know about how to paint them.

Powder coat them bitches and be done there is plenty of people powder coating them hell where the **** Shelby get pink springs others already been listed I was gonna get mine dipped but a little pricey instead we going with powder

Re: Re: Re: Powder coating coilover springs?

NTIDWELL said:
Powder coat them bitches and be done there is plenty of people powder coating them hell where the **** Shelby get pink springs others already been listed I was gonna get mine dipped but a little pricey instead we going with powder

Ha forgot about hers! Haha. Sounds like it's a go bygawd!

The lowers on the rear of my buggy are powder coated and seem fine. I'd go for it :****:

Your are perfectly fine to go ahead and powdercoat. If u have decently made springs they have already went through a process called annealing witch heats the spring past 1000 degrees 425 will not effect them you are heating then cooling them unloaded so no worry in hardening them or weakening them your good to go.

Re:

They are PAC Racing springs. Going to pick up my rig from Angryfab today. After I wheel it some and make sure the spring rates don't need altering first, I'm def gonna do it and will update this thread. If nothing less, I'll just be the guinea pig and post the results. Thanks!

Re:

TacomaJD said:
They are PAC Racing springs. Going to pick up my rig from Angryfab today. After I wheel it some and make sure the spring rates don't need altering first, I'm def gonna do it and will update this thread. If nothing less, I'll just be the guinea pig and post the results. Thanks!

Why not just call the spring manufacturer and ask?

Re: Re: Re:

JohnG said:
Why not just call the spring manufacturer and ask?

Manufacturer's don't always give real world answers when regarding their product. I was looking for first hand experiences of before and after to see if anyone could note any changes after powder coat. And also about the durability/longevity (whether it cracks and flakes due to spring travel over time). While manufacturers may very well have all the answers most of the time, there's just some things I feel more comfortable listening to what an unbiased individual who has been there / done that, has to say.

I had mine done and before they held my buggy up fine with only 6 threads showing at top! After the powder coat I had to run them down over half way down and then they would collapse making it an awful ride! Now was it coincidence I don't know but I ordered new ones from EOR I it's better than ever and will stay black not chancing it again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk