• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powder coating coilover springs?

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
I have a powdercoat hookup and am thinking about getting my black coilover springs powdered red. During powder process, the springs would get up to about 425 degrees. Is this enough to temper them and lose springrate? How do people get their springs desired colors to match their rigs?

i know plenty of people do it, i was told by a well known shock tuner not to. it may not affect the springs that much but if you're really trying to tune i'd say it would affect the springs enough that you really don't know what spring rate you have at that point.

about 5 coats of spray paint do the trick once a year. Not 5 thick coats some light dustings. Its hard as **** to cover them coils with one coat without a run.

wizzo said:
i know plenty of people do it, i was told by a well known shock tuner not to. it may not affect the springs that much but if you're really trying to tune i'd say it would affect the springs enough that you really don't know what spring rate you have at that point.

I haven't driven it yet, but George at Angryfab said it felt really stable. If it feels damn good and not borderline iffy in terms of springrates, I may go ahead and do it. My springs are light (100/200) so a little temper may affect them worse than others who may be running heavier spring combos? Would like to hear more firsthand experience from those who have had there's powdered.

BUG-E J said:
about 5 coats of spray paint do the trick once a year. Not 5 thick coats some light dustings. Its hard as **** to cover them coils with one coat without a run.

I can get em powdered for free! I'd rather leave em black :afro: than fool with painting them lol.

TBItoy said:
I'd leave em black

I will if there's risk of the heat from powder coat process weakening the spring rates. But you know I'm all about some blingy red miscellaneous parts :spin:

TacomaJD said:
I haven't driven it yet, but George at Angryfab said it felt really stable. If it feels damn good and not borderline iffy in terms of springrates, I may go ahead and do it. My springs are light (100/200) so a little temper may affect them worse than others who may be running heavier spring combos? Would like to hear more firsthand experience from those who have had there's powdered.

I can get em powdered for free! I'd rather leave em black :afro: than fool with painting them lol.

To be honest, any other setup that is different than your previous setup would be an upgrade. The one and only time I drove your rig it scared the crap out of me, I never wanted to drive it again. I thought at any second it was gonna flop on its side when I turned it too sharp.. But to answer you question just rattle can them, I wouldn't risk the heat from the oven.

bamatoy said:
To be honest, any other setup that is different than your previous setup would be an upgrade. The one and only time I drove your rig it scared the crap out of me, I never wanted to drive it again. I thought at any second it was gonna flop on its side when I turned it too sharp.. But to answer you question just rattle can them, I wouldn't risk the heat from the oven.

Lol I can't wait to drive it and see how it does. It def was skeery as **** before I put the 2.5's on the rear! I'm gon' be ready to 5th gear the **** outta Deez Nuts til something snaps molaugh

Plowboy gots the yeller sprangs, Brandon Dillon gots the Orange sprangs....is everybody painting them? I mean what is the **** that's on these spring from the factory? Paint?

TacomaJD said:
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Like sperm? Only 1 in a million work? :afro:

Damn nigga if your sperm is black you need to get that **** looked at :****:

I prefer laziness over vanity.

Anyway, 425 is definitely not enough temp to make them lose spring rate. You'd be looking at 1400 F to anneal pretty much any spring steel.

I just did some research and from what I gather as little as 300 ° can change the properties enough to alter steel. Altho powder coating can be done at lower temps to prevent any damage. Personally I have no experience in this. Just trying to help a :afro: out.

I'm not sure of how the heat adjustment works where they will be powdercoated. A good friend of mine works at a metal factory that actually makes most of Rusty's metal products, so Idk if they can just "turn down the heat"....I just had asked him the temp and he said around 425.

mckeddie said:
Plastidip them bitches red.

I use pressure washer too much for that. The only way they are going red is if I end up powdering them and only reason I would do that is because I can get it done free. Riddle me this, so if powdercoating isn't very popular with springs and not many have done it, would the powedercoating crack when the springs extend and collapse? Didn't think about that.

TacomaJD said:
I use pressure washer too much for that. The only way they are going red is if I end up powdering them and only reason I would do that is because I can get it done free. Riddle me this, so if powdercoating isn't very popular with springs and not many have done it, would the powedercoating crack when the springs extend and collapse? Didn't think about that.

Plastidip holds up amazingly well. Pressure washers won't peel it. All my panels and hood have been done on mine for about a year. I'm shocked by the stuff. I jus did he buggy to see how well it would hold up.

mckeddie said:
Plastidip holds up amazingly well. Pressure washers won't peel it. All my panels and hood have been done on mine for about a year. I'm shocked by the stuff. I jus did he buggy to see how well it would hold up.

Me and a buddy did the grill and emblems on his new Tacoma with black plasti dip, and I wasn't impressed with how it turned out. It was like a flat black and had a really textured orange peel look to it. Of course, neither one of us had used that **** before either, so we may have did it wrong.