• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Power Steering Coolers

Wildman1

I have a PSC steering system along with the Vanco hydro boost system. Well I have the system bled and have talked with PSC about the puking issues.
They are saying put a cooler on the system because they think it is overheating. So should I get a cooler with the aux fan or just go for a standard cooler? What have others used?

Stick an auxillary cooler in front of the radiator. If it's still too warm add a pusher fan later.

I don't think it will puke from temp change though. You either still have air in the system or the reservoir is not large enough to compensate for the volume of fluid being moved. It's hydro assist?

Like Brad said its probably a not having a big enough resovoir . Had the same thing happen on my hydro assist setup. A cooler wouldnt hurt adding though.

Jobless said:
Stick an auxillary cooler in front of the radiator. If it's still too warm add a pusher fan later.

I don't think it will puke from temp change though. You either still have air in the system or the reservoir is not large enough to compensate for the volume of fluid being moved. It's hydro assist?

Okay I'll just try a cooler first, was just looking at the ones with the built on fans and wondering if it would help.

Well when I called PSC they told me that if it was overheating it would puke fluid. I might still have air in the system but I don't see how after all the driving I have been doing. I have the remote reservoir & the box is setup for hydro assist just haven't gotten the ram mounted yet. I also have the Vanco hydro brake kit so that added a lot of line.

You can see the top of the reservoir in this picture. I welded a bracket to the radiator support for it. So it higher than the pump.
IMG00883.jpg

You can kind of see the side of it here.
IMG00884.jpg

I think the cooler is my first step. More fluid is always a good thing anyhow right?

go to a wrecking yard and get an a/c condensor from any small import and throw it in ft of the radiator. You probably still have the "v" bar there to mount it to. P/S will never o/heat again.

Erik D_lux said:
How full is your reservoir when it pukes?

good question because my psc system puked alittle because I had the filled the resavore to the top and it should only be filled half way up :; now its all good:D

sarg said:
good question because my psc system puked alittle because I had the filled the resavore to the top and it should only be filled half way up :; now its all good:D
Yep. I bet mine is happiest at 1/2 full. I used to try and keep it full but it wouldnt work. As long as its not whining either am I.

BTW Sarge your fluid gets pretty hot.

Erik D_lux said:
Yep. I bet mine is happiest at 1/2 full. I used to try and keep it full but it wouldnt work. As long as its not whining either am I.

Soo hot it used to catch on fire:flipoff:

Wildman said:
You can see the top of the reservoir in this picture. I welded a bracket to the radiator support for it. So it higher than the pump.
IMG00883.jpg

You can kind of see the side of it here.
IMG00884.jpg

I think the cooler is my first step. More fluid is always a good thing anyhow right?

Looks like 30lbs of **** in a 5lb bucket :wtf:

I have seen a # of systems puke fluid due to heat. You can get a small cooler at napa rick..... You can also run synthetic fluid which has better properties for heat reduction...

Erik D_lux said:

Well from PSC the fluid level should be about an inch below the holes on the reservoir. Even when the level is low it spits out fluid. I just bought a cooler and so we will see if this takes care of the issue.

I was having issues with my power steering overheating and whining on me. It wasn't puking, just making a lot of noise.

I drained the fluid, and added a pine or two of lucas, it stopped making funny noises. Unless I am really getting on the steering.

Hmm. Hopefully a cooler will help you out. I have an obnoxious cooler on mine and it stays super cool but still pukes when its over 1/2 full.

Erik D_lux said:
Hmm. Hopefully a cooler will help you out. I have an obnoxious cooler on mine and it stays super cool but still pukes when its over 1/2 full.

I dont run a cooler but maybe I should? I do run synthetic and Im real easy on my truck too:haha:

Latest posts