• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powerstroke Diesels, good years/bad years?

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Well as my mind keeps wondering across vehicles I encounter that are possible trade potentials for my tow rig, I have considered trading my gas burner 06 2500HD for a Powerstroke. I know the 7.3 is the coveted Powerstroke, but are the 6.0's really that bad? I don't know but one or two ppl with the 6.0 strokes and they've had no issues with them, but they are also low mileage trucks (under 100k)....most all my other friends with diesels have Duramax's.

So are there good years and bad years of the 6.0's? Are the tranny's behind the 6.0's dependable? What are some of the things that go bad/screw up with the 6.0's and around what mileage? If I was to test drive say an 04 or 05 Powerstroke 6.0, what are some things I would need to look/listen for to ensure it's not a peice of ****?

I will state this now, I'm no diesel expert...never owned one, but I'm somewhat familiar with the extra upkeep that comes with owning a diesel.

:drinkers:

Well just found this on wiki....but would still like to hear you guys' comments.

Design issues[edit] Intake & ExhaustSome of the problems encountered, was the possibility of the variable geometry turbo charger to stick due to carbon deposits and/or rust buildup. This could potentially cause over boost and under boost conditions, which could lead to headgasket failure. Other problems include sticking Exhaust gas recirculation valves, restricted oil coolers, which lead to leaking EGR coolers, and in turn blown headgasket.

Carbon deposits can be a issue with any engine with EGR, but had a tendency to lead to a Domino effect of issues for the 6.0.
[edit] Cylinder headThe major problems with the 6.0L was the torque-to-yield head bolts, which in an overboost condition would lead to a blown head gasket, and eventually a cracked cylinder head. The 7.3 and 6.7 Power Stroke engines both have 6 head bolts per cylinder (as well as the 6.9 and 7.3 International Harvester IDI engines). By contrast, the 6.0 only has 4 head bolts per cylinder.

[edit] ElectricalNumerous PCM recalibrations, fuel injector stiction along with several other driveability and QC issues have been issues for the 6.0 as well.

6.0's aren't bad in the later years wouldn't want one older than 05 things you need to do: head studs, gaskets,egr delete, oil cooler,exhaust, good programmer! The transmitions are good to go torq convertor helps though!

I worked in a ford service department during the 6.0 years. Run, don't walk, away from anything before 05. They were absolute nightmares. After 03 the transmissions were decent though. To be honest its probably best to just hold out for a 6.7. They had some calibration issues to start with but have been decent engines from what I heard. They are a pain to service though and any dealership that gets to charge customer pay for engine work is going to make you pay dearly.

I had a 06 F350 and everything Ford had issues with I had on my truck. With that being said I did like that truck. If you are looking for a row rig, I would not over look a 6.0. The thing is you can do some shopping get one at a really good price and go in with plans to fix the issues that the trucks are known for , and even with the aftermarket parts and labor you should still come out good on a truck you can depend on. Just my two cents..

honky kong said:
I had a 06 F350 and everything Ford had issues with I had on my truck. With that being said I did like that truck. If you are looking for a row rig, I would not over look a 6.0. The thing is you can do some shopping get one at a really good price and go in with plans to fix the issues that the trucks are known for , and even with the aftermarket parts and labor you should still come out good on a truck you can depend on. Just my two cents..

That's kinda the idea I've been pondering on. Those trucks are readily available with decent miles on tha cheap unlike Duramax trucks. I'd prefer to have a Dmax, but I'm hoping to find a dealer with something I can trade down for and get $ difference so I'll have a lil extra cash to throw at this garage I'm building. Plus I want something that gets better fuel economy when not towing so I can drive it out places on the weekend instead of driving my little Saturn...that 11 mpg 6.0 gas burner grazes in the driveway most of the time and I'm just a truck guy...I love driving it, but the sumbitch empties my wallet keepin her filled up lol. Since I'm looking to trade down, it might just be a better idea to be patient until I come across a nice well maintained 7.3 truck with decent miles.

I know I see tons of 7.3's all over the internet with well over 200k miles that still appear to be in good shape, I'm just scared of anything with that many miles. I don't want to buy something and immediately have to start replacing minor **** all over it from that much wear and tear on the drivetrain.

All in all I'm just analyzing everything...just like I do everytime I start persuing a different vehicle. All the extra over annalyzing has paid off in the past, because I have just about always ended up with good, dependable rides.

a 7.3 with 200,000 is just getting broken in good, my van has 340,000 on it. Gets 15 with all my tools (8100 lbs total weight )and me driving like an idiot. If you are thinking about any of the later trucks, keep in mind if you do any of the work yourself, you're going to need a cab lift to pull the cab off the frame to work on the engine. Even the 7.3 in my van can be worked on with out pulling the body

I had a 2010 Superduty 4 x 4 with the 6.4 Liter and it was honestly the biggest piece of crap ive ever owned.The exhaust filter would be on constantly or sure seem like it.When its on youre getting 10 MPG and it runs like crap,smells hotter than hell and had no power.Ford said this was normal,I videotaped the dash with the display on and showed them that it hardly never came off and they said I was making it up and i photoshopped the video,,WHATEVER.So basicly I paid 60,000 for this turd and they would only give my 33,000 back 1 yr later with 20,000 miles on it.Oh yes the best part I was towing 8000lbs on the way to Harlan and my buddy had 15,000 lbs on his Chevy and was blowing past me on the climbs and with it to the floor it would drop down to 45 or 50 by the top...STAY AWAY FROM THIS YEAR ITS THE WORST ONE EVER.Just to be fair I have had 3 other older Powerstrokes 7.3 and two 6.0 the only good one is the 7.3.just my 2 cents. :wtflol:

7.3 is a maintance motor, 6.0s make more power but plan on spending somewhere around 10k to make it bullet proof. i have two friends that work at beans. i owned an 03 (sold it and got a 7.3)and they have an 04 at work. the 04 literally spends more time at a shop than it does on the job(work is too cheap to fix it right)

7.3 it is lol I found this truck last night and even tho it's about 300 miles away, I'd still love to trade for it. I sent them an email on it, including the specs of my truck and inquiring about trading...waiting on a reply. 1 owner crew cab, 7.3 159k miles, all original and in damn good shape. This is exactly what I'd like to trade my truck for and get a couple extra thousand trade difference.

http://www.44automart.com/newandusedcars/0/1761543/86441f5d-fc64-4507-8148-e4292492caf4/none/2000-Ford-F250SD-%231PREOWNEDDIESELTRUCKINVENTORYIN-KY-SUPERPRICE.aspx

lowbudgetjunk said:
7.3 Ford or 5.9 Dodge or :gtfo:

As far as the Cummins goes, I know of a couple people thats had/has the body style around 03/04ish and they have had tranny problems, both having to be rebuilt. Are there certain years that the trannys were **** in that body style? That's the only body style Dodge I'd consider...don't much care for the older style.

I'd keep your gas chevy over any ford to be honest...even new ha, but I can see how 10-11 mpg all the time would really suck. Hold out for a low miles, grandpa owned 7.3. I wouldn't get a 6.0/6.4/6.7. My buddy just bought a 6.0 with a new block an turbo, only 140k miles WTF.

I'm a duramax guy, I have one with 209,000 miles now original everything besides small wear items and a radiator. You can get older 5.9 cummins for good price and they are damn dependable trucks hate to say it. I'd get a dodge way before I looked at a ford.

TacomaJD said:
As far as the Cummins goes, I know of a couple people thats had/has the body style around 03/04ish and they have had tranny problems, both having to be rebuilt. Are there certain years that the trannys were **** in that body style? That's the only body style Dodge I'd consider...don't much care for the older style.

Well never mind then on my older dodge suggestion. The auto's are hit and miss, some good some bad. Gotta keep the fluid changed if you use it a lot.

Yea, def gotta have an auto tranny. I don't like using a clutch no more than I have to with this prosthetic leg, it's bad enough my Tacoma is 5 speed....but trail driving is different than road driving pulling a trialer and working a clutch. I have 2 good friends with high mileage 7.3's and they do nothing but brag on them. One of the guys actually has two 7.3 Fords (farm trucks with flat beds).

I have a 97 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3 and a T&S 6 Position Programmer. Drive it like a Grandpa and get 16ish around town, at 55-60 mph running at 1500rpm on a road trip it does around 22-23, which is better than my S-10 with a 4.3 v6. I love mine and it will pull anything that will fit behind it, but its not the fastest thing on the road. Got a buddy with a Duramax (Isuzu) that will run off and hide from me on flat ground but I will push him up the hills when we are pulling the Jeeps. The main thing with whatever brand you buy is CHANGE THE OIL and TRANSMISSION FILTER and FLUID regular! Most don't because it cost a fortune, but its cheaper than a visit to the dealer to repair them.

I own an 03 dodge and chevy both one ton. My father owns two 7.3 and a 6.0. The 6.0 is junk it is 04. The 7.3 are good both have cold start issues. Both have programmers on them good trucks just not alot of power, trans are holding up well both over 200000 miles. Then the chevy would say I like it the best but it gets 15 mpg empty dodge I'm getting 19. The chevy is an 03 so injectors go out every 50000 miles. I know that people will say other wise but we have two of these trucks in family and they average 50000 miles before one will go out. My fav is dodge yes a had tranny rebuild at 200000 with all the goodies and it was still cheaper than having a ford or chevy tran replaced. The dodge dash crack, ball joints go out, seats suck, no tow haul mode, but still the best truck. Why I don't know, has good power, good mpg, and stops better than fords, and they are simple when you pop the hood the wiring turbo routing everything is dirt simple. Chevys only downfall are the injectors and spaghetti under the hood. Just my 2

i'm on my second 7.3 loved the first one but didn't need it at the time.... this is a early 99 i have now it has 260k miles on it and i would trust it to go anywhere... on the other hand my buddy has an 2005 6.0 with about 65k on it and just had to be towed in today from oxford to heflin... it has the egr delete and what not but from what ive seen i'd stay away... i've had so many people say bad things i wouldn't risk it... def go with a 7.3 imho...

The guy that works on my computers just went back to the new ford diesel and said he likes it more than any ford diesel truck yet, and he buys a new one every year so he has had all of them.He did go back to a gas burner for a year when he got that junk truck a couple of years ago that only got 12 mpgs.