• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pro Rock Stock Class XJ Build

proud yer still runnin the mud wompers :cool:

I looked hard at getting the MRT tires a lot of stock guys run because of the toughness but these have the same sidewall ply thickness, deeper tread depth and only weigh a few pounds more. So figured what weight I was giving up they'll make up for when we do east cost races. Plus they look good!

I looked hard at getting the MRT tires a lot of stock guys run because of the toughness but these have the same sidewall ply thickness, deeper tread depth and only weigh a few pounds more. So figured what weight I was giving up they'll make up for when we do east cost races. Plus they look good!
I never had any complaints on them. They hook up well and they do look good on that thing

A51B22F2-348F-4B78-BE96-0703339C8120.png

Man what an experience. Tons of work to get it ready and to the lake bed and then a ton of work on the lakebed. But we lined up and raced. We didn't have the time we hoped to pre run and honestly I doubt it would've made much of a difference. Ultimately we didn't have the suspension that was required to run the speeds to keep up with everyone else so we just ran as fast as we could and decided to knock down as many miles as possible. We finished lap 1 and headed out to do the big rock section and lost the clutch coming into pit 1. Found the line from the clutch master to the slave cylinder had gotten into something hot and melted hole in it. We did a bush fix and made it to roughly mile 112 or so before it failed again and we decided to call it before getting into the big trails. Super thrilled with how we did, we raced our race, had a lifetime of fun in 8 hours and made a ton of memories.

FB9963F1-5E57-47D3-9696-C0BFD1379C4E.jpeg
880205A9-CA5E-4991-81EB-76BFC448B471.jpeg
384D9EEE-577E-4E05-91EA-2943B98B2630.jpeg
5A63D96A-2394-4A78-9666-0005889941B4.jpeg
217C2FA1-897A-4B56-87FF-1F248004F609.jpeg
D60E3AFD-849B-48FE-8971-0F369B980E34.jpeg
E5727390-F5D5-43F3-AAE1-0AC0136D6E76.jpeg
0CA0938D-9FC4-4D29-B7BB-0E682E04005E.jpeg
9C8A6303-14D6-4494-9865-67333F0F00CC.jpeg

Nice recap! What other races are you planning on for this year?

What needs to change in the suspension setup?

More uptravel. Most of the Xj's racing are real tall. I feel like this set up would be competitive on the east coast but it just couldn't handle the 3' whoops that we were hitting out there. We were running between 30-35mph most of them time and the faster guys that passed us I'd guess were in the 45-50 range. The shocks were overheated and non existent around mile 50 or so and it got violent.

I knew it was a tough race, been told it's tough, but until you experience it first hand you don't truly understand just how hard it is. My hats off to the guys that race it year in and out and are successful at it.

More uptravel. Most of the Xj's racing are real tall. I feel like this set up would be competitive on the east coast but it just couldn't handle the 3' whoops that we were hitting out there. We were running between 30-35mph most of them time and the faster guys that passed us I'd guess were in the 45-50 range. The shocks were overheated and non existent around mile 50 or so and it got violent.

I knew it was a tough race, been told it's tough, but until you experience it first hand you don't truly understand just how hard it is. My hats off to the guys that race it year in and out and are successful at it.
Makes sense all around there suspension wise.

Stock class is by far my favorite class to watch, which is shame due to lack of livestream coverage and usually lack of in-time finishers for a race like KOH.

Not really sure right now. I'd like to do a couple more u4 events this year but scheduling family/work/rec wheeling trips it's getting busy
Understandable there for sure.

We plan to spectate at the Dirty Turtle race in late March and the AOP race in early June.

Ah gotcha. I thought I'd seen it posted for sale but wasn't sure if it was gone or not.

Yeah it sold. The guy sounded like he would be racing it this season but he didn't make the Rush race so not sure what the plans are now.

Yeah it sold. The guy sounded like he would be racing it this season but he didn't make the Rush race so not sure what the plans are now.
I was looking for it on the livestream just in case it was there.

With the merger on Ultra4 and AOE/MAO/ProRock (thus creating two stock classes for the remainder of this year) good thing you took the time and effort to relocate the rear shocks to back outside of the passenger compartment…

Latest posts