• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project First Gen..

Rcbro

Looks like I forgot to post my progress so here it goes..

Pulling off the knuckles to rebuild them, replacing the wheel bearings and installing new brakes. Since its my first build I'm trying to stay as clean and organized as possible.

Picture016.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Got the knuckles pulled off and ball joints cleaned. Knuckles hit the clean tank. and got the rest of my parts from the clean tank. Not much, but heres some pics to stare at.

Picture103.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture109.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Then X-mas came early

Picture127.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture136.jpg

Picture137.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Picture173.jpg

F'd up the firewall lol, so I need to pull out my sawzaw and clean up that up. Got the axle pulled off and all cleaned up.

Picture174.jpg

Picture175.jpg

Painted my knuckles and hub parts today. All nice and spiffy for the install.

Picture180.jpg

Then got the front finished up, cross member is smooth and all the mounts are cut off and ground down.

Picture183.jpg

Picture190.jpg

Got the rear axle off but I'm having real trouble getting the shackle bolts off. Any tricks to getting these things out? If not looks like i'm just going to cut the bracket off the frame, but I need the springs lol.

Picture192.jpg

Picture196.jpg

Nice. Make sure you clean the tops and bottoms of those knuckles where you have over spray on them. You taped off around the studs, but there is still paint on the mating surface for the arms/caps. They need to be clean there so as the paint wears away you don't loose your torque and loosen things up. Keep that in mind if you paint your arms too, keep the mating surface clean.

~T.J.

Nice. Make sure you clean the tops and bottoms of those knuckles where you have over spray on them. You taped off around the studs, but there is still paint on the mating surface for the arms/caps. They need to be clean there so as the paint wears away you don't loose your torque and loosen things up. Keep that in mind if you paint your arms too, keep the mating surface clean.

~T.J.

Assemble first, paint later. :awesomework:

I had to do something while I waited for my parts to arrive :fawkdancesmiley: lol

Got my Maxxis 33"s today.

Hit the shackle bolts with some heat and finally got them off the dang truck.. Dropped the fuel tank and centered some plumb bobs for the chevy installation.

Went to get my Sky's Swap kit ready and realized I was missing hardware... So now I'm stuck waiting till that gets here.

Got my welder today too

DSC08053.jpg

DSC08054.jpg

DSC08055.jpg

Last edited:
I got the Maxxis Bighorns.

Takin the axle tomorrow to a friends to hit it with the plasma and weld on my new parts :D

With the help of a local wheeler I got the front axle done. I got a 101 lesson on using a plasma cutter and boy do I wish I had one of these all my life!

Got the gusset, diff armor, steering stop blocks and knuckle gussets welded on. I was alittle scared to weld since I hadn't done it for two years, so I had him do most of the welding, but he did get me to lay two beads which didn't turn out to bad as you can see below.

DSC08075.jpg

And heres the rest of the axle

DSC08066.jpg

DSC08068.jpg

DSC08071.jpg

DSC08076.jpg

DSC08078.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't get to much done yesterday but I got the front axle primed and rebuilt the hubs and played with my tires some..

DSC08079.jpg

DSC08082.jpg

DSC08083.jpg

Last edited:
Well I was determined to get the chevys put on the rear tonight, and that I did. Managed to leave the shop right at 1 am. Took forever doing it myself, and only weighing a 155 its not the easiest thing moving the rear axle into place.

But besides that, I got my welder working and laid down some healthy tacks, not the best, but I plan to trailer it to a buddys so I can use his welder and finish everything off. I think the shackle angle should work out perfectly and judging by the looks of things I'm pretty sure I got alignment right.

Also managed to get the final coat on the front axle.

Enjoy the pics.. (sorry for the blurring ones, I was tired lol)

DSC08102.jpg

DSC08103.jpg

DSC08107.jpg

DSC08117.jpg

DSC08121.jpg

Looks great man:awesomework: I love those bodystyles! They have really nice lines looks like your is extremely clean:cool: Are you planning on DDing that or what????

Anyways kickass rig man! Great work!