• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Sexi Sami

TacomaJD said:
Just out of curiosity, what all did you do to paint the cage? Just wipe it down with alcohol and rattle can it? Reason I ask is because I will have bare metal link bars, axle, and frame rails that will need painting and want to do it where it has a good solid coat on it. Always just rattle canned over the existing painted cage on my rig, haven't done much with prepping bare metal. Guess it's pretty simple, but I like to overthink things to ensure I do them right. :****:

I always get scotch Brite and scrub it with those and brake cleaner, then wipe it down with clean rags and brake cleaner

I always prime everything even though most paint now says is not required

onetoncrawler said:
I always get scotch Brite and scrub it with those and brake cleaner, then wipe it down with clean rags and brake cleaner

I always prime everything even though most paint now says is not required

Always wondered if brake cleaner left behind any sort of residue that might hinder the finish or adhesion of the paint. Good info, thanks.

A gallon of prep-sol/prep-all/etc generic "wax and grease remover" paint prep will ususally run about $20-25 and will do more work than several cases of brake cleaner aerosol.

Just a suggestion, (and you won't use up all your aerosol brake cleaner)

Re:

Sweet, probably will pick some up. And yep, I don't even do a whole lot of work in my shop compared to most and I still use a lot of brake cleaner.

kmcminn said:
Looks like wife moved out and took everything with her. I can get you some wire reels if you want. Lol

lol you know better than that - there is a couch, love seat, recliner, trunk and end table all in that room - you just can't see it :****:

I don't like clutter ;D

Back to buggy buggy building instead of discussing home decor :woot:

20140321_205126_zps710f1cce.jpg

Thanks guys - what are folks using to plumb rear mounted radiators besides welding on AN fittings and using -16 hose?

All of my inlet and outlet sizes are 1.125" so I would love to just buy a 20' roll of hose and add a couple of 90° pieces of tubing

My old buggy is plumbed with hydraulic hose through the chassis, with radiator hose on each end. Mine is 1.5" I.D. hose, but I'm sure you find 1.125". The new buggy is getting -16AN stuff though.

hokie_yj said:
My old buggy is plumbed with hydraulic hose through the chassis, with radiator hose on each end. Mine is 1.5" I.D. hose, but I'm sure you find 1.125". The new buggy is getting -16AN stuff though.

What hose are you using? I'm doing the same and need to order it soon but can't decide on a brand/style hose. I had originally planned on Fragola push lok until I discovered that it had a 212* max operating temp. Kinda leaning towards Russell pro flex now but wow that stuff is high. Trying to find a cheaper alternative if I can.

Went and scavenged through the parts store hoses to get the angled hoses I needed and bought 1" conduit which is the perfect size for my hoses , no steps or conversion pieces needed

Got the radiator and fan mounted

20140330_193546_zpsb2910b9e.jpg

Front end under it and got the headlight mounted - gotta change all the springs - they are a little long

20140330_193408_zps41be3881.jpg

Steering is all plumbed

20140330_122606_zps109ed536.jpg