• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Street Legal Sami

IT'S ALIVE! :cheer: I was also trying for an air filter and header collector gasket, but couldn't find either. Hell, autozone said they can't even get a filter other than a k&n anymore.:eeek::corn:

Napa's got the filter (up here anyway), maybe even the collector gasket---or hit up an exhaust shop for one....

Napa's got the filter (up here anyway), maybe even the collector gasket---or hit up an exhaust shop for one....

Yeah, shmucks has a filter out in lakewood, I got a late start so I missed all the other parts stores, I'm sure I'll find something tomorrow. :awesomework:

Finally found an air filter at National in tacoma, and got a collector gasket too, so after my nieces b-day party, I came home and went to work hanging the exhaust. I had to make new hangers for it, and decided to make a little skid/transition from the pipe to the muffler, to help it from getting hung up on stuff. It probably wasn't neccesary, but if it works once, it'll be worth the couple minutes it took to make.

100_1740.jpg

100_1741.jpg

One thing that kind of bugs me, not that I can't live with it, but it's just one of those things... The header has this slip joint on one of the pipes, that rattles at a certain rpm. Now, I'm just wondering, is this to allow the pipe to flex a little and keep things from getting bent/broken? Or is it something I can weld up and not have to worry about? The joint in question:
100_1738.jpg

Back to looking semi-clean.
100_1742.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to change out the gear oil in the trans, t-case, and diffs, and get started on my front bumper. :cool:

I definately need to lift this thing soon. It's a pain to work under. :rolleyes:

I got all the fluids changed out, and finally got to start in on the front bumper. :cheer:

First thing was cutting the old bracket off the end of the framerails. This took for-****ing-ever, looks like they welded it on with a stick, 1/2" wide beads. :eeek: But I got it off of there, and cleaned up the rails the best I could.

100_1744.jpg

100_1745.jpg

100_1746.jpg

100_1748.jpg

Two of the 4 brackets
100_1749.jpg

100_1750.jpg

I've still got to decide whether I want to notch the top and bottom, and kick the ends back a little, to better follow the contour of the body, or just leave it straight. Tomorrow night I should be able to get it mostly assembled, I need to make some caps to go between the brackets on either side, and drill and sleeve for some sort of D-ring, make some end caps, a brace per side to go to the top of the rails, and work out something for some turn signals.

Last edited:
O god, not a c-channel bumper!!!!:puke: Rectangle tube bumper would look much better! And yes you can weld that pipe up...I'm not sure why it wasn't welded together in the first place.:eeek: Is that a Pacesetter header??

No video of the oilwater shooting the fence? That would have been cool to see!

Looks great. I need on of the stickers too. Kevin's done just a little bit of work for me as well.

O god, not a c-channel bumper!!!!:puke: Rectangle tube bumper would look much better! And yes you can weld that pipe up...I'm not sure why it wasn't welded together in the first place.:eeek: Is that a Pacesetter header??
I know, but it's all I had laying around, so it'll have to work. By the time I'm done with it, it should look decent. I just hate the look of tube bumpers, and can't afford a piece of rectangle. I'm not worried about mounting a winch to it, so it suits my needs, and will look better than a stocker (imho). And remember, this is going to be a DD/exploration rig, I still have the LJ for the harder stuff. :cool:

I was wondering the same thing myself, of why it was there. I think I'll weld it up while I have the welder out for the bumper. I'm not sure what brand it is, there's a plate on it that might say something, I just haven't taken the time to clean it off and read it.

No video of the oilwater shooting the fence? That would have been cool to see!

Looks great. I need on of the stickers too. Kevin's done just a little bit of work for me as well.

Nope, no vids. :booo:

Well, I didn't get a whole lot done tonight, but I got the ends bent back and rewelded, and the brackets welded on.

bump4.jpg

bump3.jpg

bump2.jpg

bump1.jpg

You should cut the ends more vertical, they stick out too far!! Unless of course you're trying to joust someone on the sidewalks!!!!:haha::redneck:

You should cut the ends more vertical, they stick out too far!! Unless of course you're trying to joust someone on the sidewalks!!!!:haha::redneck:

Me? Never. :redneck: That's really an optical illusion, the ends are perfectly even with the body. I was looking at that today though, thinking I should have come straight down an inch or so, then angle in. It's far from "done" though, so we'll see what I come up with. You should know that by now, I never have a plan, I just attack **** and hope for the best. :haha::redneck:

Me? Never. :redneck: That's really an optical illusion, the ends are perfectly even with the body. I was looking at that today though, thinking I should have come straight down an inch or so, then angle in. It's far from "done" though, so we'll see what I come up with. You should know that by now, I never have a plan, I just attack **** and hope for the best. :haha::redneck:

:redneck::redneck:

What are you gonna do between the brackets? Towbar? cap em and mount tow shackles? Leave em alone just to drive us nuts wondering?

What are you gonna do between the brackets? Towbar? cap em and mount tow shackles? Leave em alone just to drive us nuts wondering?

For now, the latter. :haha: The idea was to cap them and drill for d-rings. I'm still working up ideas on what all I want to do with it. :awesomework:

Ok, so I didn't get a whole lot of progress done on the bumper tonight, but I did get my speedo cable and glovebox door swapped out. :redneck: Thanks moto261. :beer:

I got the brackets capped, and that's about it. I'm still contemplating what else to do to the bumper.

bump7.jpg

bump6.jpg

bump5.jpg

Still going on this thing, the bumper is done. Nothing spectacular, but it serves it's purpose.
paintedbump.jpg

paintedbump2.jpg

I also got the drivers door painted, it's ALOT darker than the rest, but it's grey now, and not blue. I have enough of this color to paint the whole thing when I get around to that. The door latch was also not working correctly, so I removed it, and found the problem to be a "pivot rivet" that had worked loose, so with a couple smacks with a punch and hammer, I had it working again. :cheer:

It passed! :cheer: I don't know how, but it did. :haha: The guy even got down and looked at the exhaust, and never mentioned the lack of a cat. :cool: It barely squeeked by, by 1ppm, but this is the last year I'll have to run it through. Next year (2010) would be the last year for an 86, but the emissions reports are good for 365 days from the day it was printed, so she said I could use this report again when these tags expire, as long as I get them before the year is up. :awesomework:

I did quite a bit of driving it around today, and it will definately be getting a 2.3 in the future, but I'll just soak up that fuel mileage for now. :cool:

EDIT: And I know most of this is boring to you all, but it's all just part of bringing a zuk back from farmlife. The guy I got it from said they cut the hinges to remove the doors for easier calf grabbing. :redneck:

Last edited:
The shake-down run went very well concidering the bone stockedness of it. I only got it stuck once and Darren tugged it out. :awesomework:
samistuck.jpg

It was good getting out on the trail again, and it gave me some good ideas for some upgrades....... :awesomework:

Last edited:

Latest posts