• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Street Legal Sami

Fordzuki

Zuk Hoarder
Well I've had the thought here for awhile about building a more street friendly suzuki, since the LJ isn't exactly street legal. This will be my daily driver, built mildly but all in the right places, to make a functional daily driver/exploration rig.

But the first thing it needs is a motor. :redneck:
It runs, but has a blown headgasket, and it's bad. Oil in the water, water in the oil bad. :rolleyes: I knew this buying it, and got a killer deal with everything else working great. It's nothing special and has it's share of dings and dents, but it looks like the hood was the worst of it, and a small patch of rust around the passenger side wiper. It's got a brand new besttop on it. :cool: Brand new 205/75/15s (studded :redneck:) Everything else is stock, still has the swaybar on it.

The plan:

New motor, just a 1.3 again for now.
New fluids in everything.
New seats
Front bumper
wheel it :cool:

Future plans:
6.5s and skid
31s
lockrights f&r
power steering
armor

Here's the first pic, I had to charge up the camera and now it's dark, so this is one from my phone loading it up. Drove onto the trailer for $700 :awesomework:

1253417706.jpg

Here's some better pics.

100_1727.jpg

100_1726.jpg

100_1725.jpg

100_1728.jpg

And of course the glory of the whole mess. These two items alone make the purchase worthwhile. :redneck:
100_1729.jpg

I spent most of the day today cleaning it up, pieced together some taillights, bent the rear bumper around a little, washed a layer of mud off the undercarriage to a pleasant surprise. The only rust spot I found was the inner apron under the battery. :cool:

After I sprayed off and inspected the undercarriage, I decided to fill up the radiator and see how bad the headgasket leaked. Filled it up, went to start it up, and nothing... :eeek: I decided I'd better pull the plugs and see what I was up against. #4 had a nice oil/water coating, #3 carbon but dry, #2 had a water droplet in between the electrode :haha: #1 carbon but dry. I cranked it over and cleared the cylinders, shot the fence 10 feet away a couple times with water, cleaned up the plugs and threw them back in, and it fired up and ran on all 4. :cheer:

I should have a new motor for it in the next day or two, once I get it driving I can start in on the good stuff. :cool:

Cool,Ill be watching.

If I could offer any advice.........dont put any money into the 1.3 motor go 1.6 or somthing.You need more power for a street zuk,once you hit 60mph in these rigs your fighting the airodynamics and they just need more motor.

I built a street zuk a few years back with a doug thorly header,elc fan,6al box,camshaft,1.6 intake valves and a super tune and I could run 65-75mph but with a head wind it was still frustrating not having enough power.And that lil 1.3l run strong...but not strong enough....body to much like a shoe box.

Cool,Ill be watching.

If I could offer any advice.........dont put any money into the 1.3 motor go 1.6 or somthing.You need more power for a street zuk,once you hit 60mph in these rigs your fighting the airodynamics and they just need more motor.

I built a street zuk a few years back with a doug thorly header,elc fan,6al box,camshaft,1.6 intake valves and a super tune and I could run 65-75mph but with a head wind it was still frustrating not having enough power.And that lil 1.3l run strong...but not strong enough....body to much like a shoe box.

You know, I had that thought, but I'm strapped for both cash and time right now, so another 1.3 is what it's gonna get to make it a driver, hopefully by this weekend. I'm currently borrowing a rig since the burb puked the trans, so I don't really have time for a conversion. When it does come time for more power, it'll most likely get a 2.3. :cool:

I picked up the new 1.3 tonight from "Gas is on the right", and tomorrow, the 410 project is getting a new home so I can have some room in the garage. With the way money has been this year, I couldn't see it getting finished anytime soon, and it's just taking up space. :booo: It's not like I need another trailer queen anyways. :redneck:

I think once the motor is in, I'll start in on a front bumper, since it doesn't have one. :haha:

Got the motor and trans out thursday night, Bobby (gas is on the right) was nice enough to throw in the trans with the motor I bought from him, so I'm gonna throw it all in. I made this decision when the old trans didn't spill a drop of gear lube when I pulled it. :eeek::haha:

Not too exciting, but it's progress.
samibare.jpg

The motor and trans that's going in.
newmotor.jpg

Just waiting on a motor mount to show up at my door now, and I can slap this thing in and get on to other things. I'll have to make up some exhaust for it, the PO cut the cat out and replaced it with flexpipe. :looser: And I'll give the axles and transfercase some new lube and have me a driver. :cheer:

Finally got around to installing the engine and trans tonight. I got mostly everything back together, and sorted out the ratsnest of wires under the dash. There was the superhighphonics clock in the dash, about 8" away from the stock clock. :eeek::haha: The cigarette lighter receptical over by the headlight switch, with a 30amp inline maxifuse with female connectors and electrical tape. And of course you can't forget the fanfawkingtastic clear lensed clearance lights under each side of the dash, held in with one of the speaker screws. And all the wiring for this was wrapped around every conceivable metal object there is under the dash. :rolleyes: Got all that stripped out, took the chrome tach out, just basically cleaned up all the major eyesores in the interior.
I discovered tonight that my exhaust manifold is cracked on the underside, so I'll have to round me up one of those. I need to stop at the parts store tomorrow and grab a few things, and should have it all wrapped up (other than the exhaust) tommorow night. :cool:

First thing on the list once it's rolling is a front bumper, since it doesn't have one. I've been throwing ideas around, and looking at how to cut that god awful towbar mount off the rails without destroying the rails. :eeek:
Couple pics.
motorin.jpg

manicrack.jpg

I got a front bumper out back you can have. Might even have a spare manifold here. If not I've got another one across town I can go grab.:awesomework:

Hey, if you want it, I have an old header from a rig I parted out...the header itself is still in good shape, just the collector end got cut off...essentially it has two pipes at the end---if you're any good at molding exh, it should be pretty easy to make it one pipe again!!!:redneck::awesomework:

You should have just bought mine. :redneck:

I would have rather had yours, just don't have that kind of cash all at once. :booo:

And thanks guys for all your offers, I picked up a header and 2"(?) exhaust with muffler from "gas is on the right" tonight. Basically the whole system from his rig with only a couple runs on it. Everything still looks brand new. And just like the motor I bought from him, he cut me an awesome deal. :awesomework:

Stopped in at the parts store on the way home and picked up the couple of things I needed to button it up. I'm headed out right now for an hour or so, then I'll try and get it all finished up tomorrow after work.

I'm thinking if I get anymore sami parts from you, I'm gonna have to put "Sponsored by Zukkev" in my sig. :haha:

I got the header installed. Man, are those a pain to slide in there. Also got the stat swapped out, lower hose installed, and the cooling system filled. All that's left now is to hang the exhaust under it, clean out and reinstall the airbox with new filter, bolt the union shaft back in, and wire up the battery.

exhaust.jpg

header.jpg

IT'S ALIVE! :cheer: I picked up some new battery cables today, I was also trying for an air filter and header collector gasket, but couldn't find either. Hell, autozone said they can't even get a filter other than a k&n anymore. :eeek: I'll make some calls tomorrow and see who's got them. I drove it out of the garage and could barely contain all that raw horsepower. :haha: I can see now I'm gonna love how easy these are to work on though. :cool: I still had a sensor light on, but it was flashing, so I got online and what do you know, there's a cancel switch to turn it off. :redneck: I have to take it through emissions where I live, has anybody taken one through without a cat? :eeek::corn: