Project Sublime YJ gets a V8!

Avanteone

So, you knew this was coming. :redneck:

Take a little of this:

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

Add in a little bit of Vortec small block Chevrolet power:

IMG_2223.jpg

And an aftermarket bumpstick to make it rumble: (wil be getting roller rockers too)

comp_cams_57200.jpg

Motor mounts, new Atlas input shaft, 4L60E adapter, VSS and a few other parts from the great people at Advance Adapters:

2008092717385560083_lrg.jpg

Some high-zoot bling from our friends at Griffin Thermal Products:

griffin.gif

130_0903_04_z+new_products+griffin_radiator.jpg

To make sure we never have to deal with loose header bolts or other engine fasteners, we have Stage 8 on board to help out with some of their innovative fasteners:

stage8headerboltsA.gif

I'll also be trying out the new Stage 8 D60 spindle nut kits!

..... and we've got a great start to making my trail rig a little bit more fun!!! Also on board for this build so far are Tom Turner and the crew at Performance Prep in Federal Way who will be doing the custom PCM programming to get rid of the emissions and evap stuff, and then dyno tuning for maximum horsepower! Stay tuned as this will be getting started right after Thanksgiving Weekend! As always, huge thanks to the crew at CRAWL Magazine for their help in keeping this project rolling!

John

good decision on good quaility parts john, i big step up from the old xj :awesomework:. what tranny and t case are you running??

do another jump like that one the other day and it will al be over as quick as it started!:awesomework:

Update pics:

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

Been working on cleaning up the insides of the frame rails, grinding down excess weld and metal left from stock bracketry, etc.

And then Brown Santa showed up with gifts from the fine folks at Advance Adapters:

IMG_2593.jpg

Worked on modifying the 4l60E with the vehicle speed sensor kit from AA:

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

Also made arrangements with Tony at Hotwire Auto to supply the wiring harness for our project! It's being built now and should be on it's way shortly. These are the same people that built the harness used in Scott's Hemi Jeep. Check 'em out at www.hotwireauto.com

John

So in the initial build, the motor never came out of the rig. I always wanted to plate the inside of the frame a little extra to add some strength where the frame notches were made for clearance. Clark W cut me out some frame reinforcing plates and Eli got those welded in:

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

The lower end bearings ended up being a little more chewed up than I had hoped for, so a quick crankshaft polish, and some new bearings, oil pump, cam bearings, etc. went in along with the new roller camshaft:

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

With the new input shaft installed in the Atlas, and the necessary adapters bolted up to the 4L60E, it was time to mate it all together and mock it up into place:

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

This is where it sits using the original crossmember and putting the Atlas exactly where it was to start. EXACTLY what I was hoping for, set the engine back as far as possible and NOT have to re-do crossmembers, mountings, drivelines, etc! Making good progress now!!!!! More to come soon!

John