• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Sublime YJ gets a V8!

Update: Not quite done, but we're close. It starts, runs, fan cycles, etc. We were waiting on the Lokar products to show up, and we got 'em all Monday. Got the fancy oil and trans. dipsticks installed, but their shifter won't quite work as designed. My GM style column doesn't protrude through the firewall as much as the cars, so there isn't enough room for their trick billet bracket. So, we're still using the kit but making our own bracket. Honestly, we've actually been a little busy with paying work, so mine got neglected for a couple of days. Tomorrow we will wrap up the trans. shift linkage and take it for it's maiden voyage!

John

Saw an article on your rig today in the new Jan/Feb Crawl Magazine. :blingbling: Boy am i glad they are back in print:smokey:

Drove it to the end of parking lot and back, but hitting a couple of snags.

No power steering, assuming the pump is just dead from sitting too long.
No alternator output, double checking wiring, or may just be dead from sitting too long.
Only one oxygen sensor seems to be functioning properly, both are new... gotta double check wiring and stuff there too.

So, a quick update.... and no.. no burnout pics yet, but soon I promise!

Been finishing up little detail stuff, wire routing, rewiring my CB, race radio, amp, etc... and waiting to hear back from the shop that's gonna do the dyno tuning. So, as it turns out, the software they use (and a couple of other local shops) doesn't support my early style ('96-'98) factory computer. I need to go to a later style "411" computer. This is the same basic computer used in most '99+ GM trucks, blazers, S10s, vans, etc... and is also the same architecture as all the LS series and GENIII stuff. So, in order to be able to acquire a computer that will still allow my rig to run to GET to the shop, it needed to be from an '01-'02 GM van with a 5.7 in it (cuz the trucks were 5.3, 6.0). Anyways, I have acquired the computer and connectors, need to transfer each pin from the harness out of the old PCM connectors and into the new one. This computer gives me much more capability for custom tuning than the factory one ever would have. So, the plan is to wrap up this stuff very soon and get it out for dyno tuning early next week!

John

Drove it to the end of parking lot and back, but hitting a couple of snags.

No power steering, assuming the pump is just dead from sitting too long.
No alternator output, double checking wiring, or may just be dead from sitting too long.
Only one oxygen sensor seems to be functioning properly, both are new... gotta double check wiring and stuff there too.

I've never heard of a pump going bad sitting too long or an alternator.. What the hell are you guys smoking over there?? :cool:

I've never heard of a pump going bad sitting too long or an alternator.. What the hell are you guys smoking over there?? :cool:

Alternator was a wiring issue, got it figured out. P/S pump was just junk. Not circulating ANY fluid. Messed with it, yarded the guts out of the back, messed with the electric variable orifice, nothing. Pump was just dead. Swapped in a new one and worked perfect.

Well then the pump was probably bad when you pulled the motor. I'm sure that didn't happen from sitting empty.

New computer/connectors are all hooked up and pinned out. Loading on the trailer and dropping off at Performance Prep tomorrow, he's gonna do the basic programming, deleting the downstream oxygen sensors, EGR, Evap system, etc... and then call me when he's ready to get into the actual performance tuning.

So, the programming software is pretty amazing to me. ANYTHING is variable. Change timing, fuel, etc. under any load condition, any rpm, etc. Will have more details to follow, but here's a couple of teaser shots:

014-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

020.jpg

021-1.jpg

So, another minor hickup. Got up there to work on getting it all dialed in, all the fuel control stuff looked good. Went to buzz it around the block real quick and didn't GO worth a damn. Set a trans. input speed sensor code, limped the trans, and ran in 2nd gear. :eeek: A little research shows that since my base program (in the 2nd PCM I got) was from an '01 Express van that was a 3/4 ton, it had a 4L80E trans, not a 4L60E trans. that's in my truck. The 4L80E uses a trans. input sensor and my 4L60E does not, so since the computer was not seeing the proper input sensor signal, it limped the transmission. The fix is pretty simple transferring the fuel maps and stuff from my current program to a base program that started out as a 5.7/4L60E, but just ran out of time today. Should be able to get it all dialed in tomorrow!!!

J

So, another minor hickup. Got up there to work on getting it all dialed in, all the fuel control stuff looked good. Went to buzz it around the block real quick and didn't GO worth a damn. Set a trans. input speed sensor code, limped the trans, and ran in 2nd gear. :eeek: A little research shows that since my base program (in the 2nd PCM I got) was from an '01 Express van that was a 3/4 ton, it had a 4L80E trans, not a 4L60E trans. that's in my truck. The 4L80E uses a trans. input sensor and my 4L60E does not, so since the computer was not seeing the proper input sensor signal, it limped the transmission. The fix is pretty simple transferring the fuel maps and stuff from my current program to a base program that started out as a 5.7/4L60E, but just ran out of time today. Should be able to get it all dialed in tomorrow!!!

J

:eeek: Sounds like you need a computer science degree to work on rigs these days :redneck: