• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane and nitrous

Rockwells607

Does anyone run propane and nitrous? I have a nitrous setup and 3 bottles, I already have a propane kit and im thinkin about the next buggy build....the fuel shut off selonoieds wouldn't work before the propane is heated? I don't know ....any tech or answers please !

A couple thoughts use a separate fuel tank, fuel pump and add 110 when activating the nitrous. Also friends that use to mud race use to cut the main fuel and jet the nitrous fuel side and use the carb as a throttle body at that point. Hope the ideas help.

A dry no2 system would prolly work the easiest but thats not what I have, I also do have the msd timing advance/ control box for nitrous set ups, but the dual selonoieds ( one no2) ( one fuel ) monitor the ratios I believe and if there isn't enough fuel it shuts the nitrous off So ya dont blow a motor, I don't know how or if you could pump propane, maybe this is all a dead end idea

Rockwells607 said:
A dry no2 system would prolly work the easiest but thats not what I have, I also do have the msd timing advance/ control box for nitrous set ups, but the dual selonoieds ( one no2) ( one fuel ) monitor the ratios I believe and if there isn't enough fuel it shuts the nitrous off So ya dont blow a motor, I don't know how or if you could pump propane, maybe this is all a dead end idea

From what I am reading you need a wet system since it is the only way to get enough additional propane down the intake. You don't need a pump because the propane is under pressure in the tank. The mystery appears to be the correct size jet and getting a consistent pressure out of the tank ...

Another good thread:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/392274-propane-information.html

I just read through patoyees posted links, looks like a pain in the ass witch defeats the entire purpose of propane ( super simple) I thought it would be a great way to ride around on 400 hp and spray 100hp shot for hill climbs....the theory was great but the fact doesn't sound so great

The swafford (sp?) buggy on here was building a smith buggy with a nasty propane motor on nitrous. I watched it up untill he got it running then never posted if it ran or worked? I wanna say it had somekinda nitrous controller or pcm? I know it had o2 sensors in the headers.

It was never run on LP with the motor being sprayed it has totally different motor with EFI in the buggy now he can tell you the reason for the change to EFI

OK! lots of input . I have been thinking the same thing, My ideas should work for u! tell me what you think. I'm looking at a sniper efi wet kit ! running liquid propane to the fuel solonoid. the efi kit is set up for 43 psi fuel pressure. so run a fuel t before you heat the propane to a 0-60 adjustable regulator "ACE hardware has them" set it for 40-45 psi to the fuel solonoid, propane is the same as 110-115 octane and has been run thru liquid fuel injected motors in dragrace setups. set it up as a liquid and regulate it to 45 , with a adjustable reg u can fine tune mixture by adding or subtracting pressure . run no2 side normal! also with the reg you take out the pressure changes in the tank down to 45 psi you could run a 40 psi cut off switch if your propane gets low.. Many others may argue!
Have they ever tried it?

But It is my plan. I'm going to try it ! start with small jets up size if you think u got it right.. don't be scared !! !!! like the sticker says its like a knockout chick with a STD you really want to hit it but your scared of the conciqences Wrap it up and hit it!!! hitit hitit loller.gif :****: :wtflol:

The sniper efi kit gives jet sizes for 43 psi fuel and nos pills. you say you got all the other stuff?

I used a wide band to tune the nitrous.i had to big of cam to use propane.i didn't use a regulator on the fuel side.i used a tee before the evap.i call nirous express and got a jet chart.its not spot on but a starting point.

The only person I know with nitrous and propane runs a small fuel cell and only uses it with the nitrous

I run nitrous on my propane powered juggy, it is a edelbrock performer wet nitrous system and I have a 2.5 gallon fuel cell for the "power adder" when the nitrous switch is activated. The small gas tank has an electric fuel pump so when I arm the nos system the pump turns on, at that point once the microswitch on the gas pedal engages, I have nos,race fuel, and propane all at once. I have running the jeep like this for several years, come see it at Rockfest at the GAP in August. loller.gif

gsell said:
I run nitrous on my propane powered juggy, it is a edelbrock performer wet nitrous system and I have a 2.5 gallon fuel cell for the "power adder" when the nitrous switch is activated. The small gas tank has an electric fuel pump so when I arm the nos system the pump turns on, at that point once the microswitch on the gas pedal engages, I have nos,race fuel, and propane all at once. I have running the jeep like this for several years, come see it at Rockfest at the GAP in August. loller.gif

Get it Gregg!

gsell said:
You must have the Jeep with the little small block 350 in it? Red with Black hood?