• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane guru wanted??

mudslayer

So I've had a gotpropane kit on my cj7 w/350 for a yr now. I pretty much installed it and ran it. Never turned a screw or anything. It's always run warm, but now I can't fo for more than a little distance without running up to 220 or so. Don't remember the exact timing advance I put in it. I did put a 160 tstat in. I'm running a aluminum radiator with a electric fan/shroud. I did swap out my fan for a Taurus fan and it seemed to help, but that fan failed in a mud hole, so went back to smaller fan. I'm sick of having to sit on the trail to let it cool. Any thoughts? ???????

So I've had a gotpropane kit on my cj7 w/350 for a yr now. I pretty much installed it and ran it. Never turned a screw or anything. It's always run warm, but now I can't fo for more than a little distance without running up to 220 or so. Don't remember the exact timing advance I put in it. I did put a 160 tstat in. I'm running a aluminum radiator with a electric fan/shroud. I did swap out my fan for a Taurus fan and it seemed to help, but that fan failed in a mud hole, so went back to smaller fan. I'm sick of having to sit on the trail to let it cool. Any thoughts? ???????

Throw the electric fans away, re-install the original OEM mechanical fan that came with the engine. OR, if you're overkill, take the electric fan and ALSO add it in front of the radiator and use it as an additional pusher fan (you'll have to swap polarity of the motor, and reverse the fan blade direction). There's a reason GM used mechanical fans on that engine. They cool better.

I have 2 trail rigs on propane, both run cool. Both have a factory fan. Where are you located?

I'm in seatac, but my rig is out at my dad's shop in auburn/blk diamond most of the time.
Anyone have a fan and shroud laying around? I've done the timing and plugs etc, just seems to happen only on a load (up hill roads) and steadily climbs, At idle or on even ground it seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Is your temp sensor accurate? Test it. Maybe an air pocket somewhere?

One thing I haven't tested, I'll pull it tonight and check. Maybe a dumb question, but I notice some people have there temp unit in the side of the head's or in the intake ? Is one more accurate?