• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane ????

youngbloodlvmc

Ok I just finished the engine swap in wife's jeep. Swapped out the old worn out 305 with the 350 that was in my buggy. The swap took 2 years due to finances and a baby so parts sat awhile. Onto the problem....When I got it all together a extreme amount of pressure would build up in the evaporator so high that id have to use a screwdriver handle to push down on the relief button which would allow the propane into mixer and then it would start and run fine except the evaporator would build up extremely high pressure again. I took the lockoff off hoping that was problem it wasn't I then rebuilt the evaporator and with no lockoff it would build up high pressure again and leak out the hole on top of evaporator. I then put lockoff back on and it then would just freely flow propane through the evaporator and into the mixer and still built up high pressure. I then put a spare lock off that I had on it and it did the same thing I would have to cut the bottle off and just let what was in the lines leak out through top of mixer( where air filter sits). right now I am thinking next step is to rebuild lock off if that don't work rebuild mixer I guess but seems to me the problem is either lockoff or most likely in my mind the evaporator even though I just rebuilt it. And the evaporator is a impco model E and mixer is a impco 425. hoping its something easy and im just missing something easy so I can finally get back on the trail. thanks for any help.

It ain't a lock off related problem because some rigs don't even run a lock off sounds like a diaphram has a hole in it or is stuck in the evaporator.

its mounted to a plate that sits above the passenger side of engine then piped over to the mixer... as soon as the baby lets me ill get a picture posted....

and I just rebuilt it all new diaphragms springs and seats/levers how would I test them out :dunno: I didn't think it was a lock off problem figured was in evaporator just confused at to what specially since I dropped 55$ on a rebuild kit

it wont let me post the pictures I took off of my camera saies file is too large will have to wait till the kids get home to get there help if I cant figure out how to post them by then

Re:

Do you have the regulator hooked to vacuum or set to atm? Do you have coolant running through it? Does it freeze up?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

it does have coolant going through it no vacuum hooked to the evaporator never had it befor and worked great. don't no what atm is and it does not freeze up but it did sweat pretty bad 1 time during all this AFTER it was rebuilt

The little lever inside the evaporater has to be bent exactly to the right higth or it will be hard to push. It happened to me when I rebuilt mine.

Well found the leak problem the diaphragm that's under the lever wasn't completely flush and was causing the leak. Now I am fighting the lever getting it adjusted right so I can push it down easier. But with fixing 1 thing I find 2 more.... when its running if I rev it it lunges forward regardless of what gear the shifter is put in and even with the twin sticks in N... Other thing is when I turn it off there's like a solid thump/knock sound like its releasing pressure from the engine... Also found out I got exhaust leaks at the manifold thankfully that's a easy fix lol if it aint one thing its another.... Note to self never leave a propane engine or propane parts sitting for 2 years untouched= head ach from hell ...... thanks for all the help and hope to see yall on trail soon :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:

I have never heard of a knocking sound coming from a propane system. Can you isolate where the noise is located? The lever and seat in the secondary side of the vaporizer is critical as to the proper height and making sure it is not twisted when adjusted. The pins should be 1/32" below the housing level according to IMPCO. If the rubber seat does not sit flat on the opening it will allow fuel to bleed through into the chamber and build excessive pressure.

it sounds like it coming from the driver side of engine but haven't been able to get one of the kids out to give me a hand so I aint jumping in and out of jeep. as for that lever I have prob twisted it a lil by now I got a few spares though for back up...when you pmd me altfuel99 I didn't understand 100% what u was saying bout pins and only had bout 30 min free time so just went to bending on it a lil at a time like a idiot. so ill dig out one of the spares and do it when I got more free time

ok was able to get my daughters help (took the ipod away till she did lol) its actually a clicking like sound coming from around #1 cylinder kinda like it got hot and is cooling off but I aint ran it long nuff for the temp gauge to move....as for the transmission and transfere staying in gear I have solved that problem... nut was stripped and was slipping when I wld change gears and the floor pan was putting pressure on the rear stick when I wld rev it and body wld roll causing it to engage rear axle...just might have it ready for aop on the 12 (to watch that is)