• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane

shane416ex

Picked up a propane setup yesterday and need some info on setting it up. On the mixer there is an inlet and outlet that are labled water with fitting the size of the heater hoses. I was told they were for winter so the propane doesn't freeze and keep the motor from running. Is this true and if so can I run it without hooking up those water hoses to anything?

Not just for winter. More likely to freeze over in winter, yes, but can find ways to freeze over in summer as well.

Yep... Hook them up...

Asuming you have an Impco Model E, there are some that have a 12v connection that you can wire up to a toggle and add heat to it in the winter when needed...

Even with the hoses they can still freeze up... A buddy of mine had his freeze up last weekend...

The top line comes from my top heater hose, and the bottom line is going to my water pump. Yea, I think you NEED it.

Propane going from liquid to gas gets VERY cold, short of Moab in the summer doesn't matter what the temperature is out side. The vaporizer NEEDS hot water running through it to keep from turning into a popsicle, and that can make for a very shitty day.

BTDT. Make sure the vaporizer is located low enough to be easy to burp any air out of the coolant system, and defiantly not be the high point. Make sure your cooling system is in good shape as well, if you over heat or burp air, you loose water to the vaporizer, your stuck on the trail.

BTDT.

Internet search will teach you this.