• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Proper torque for nut on Saginaw PS box?

Alan

Broken on Backdoor
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knows what the proper torque setting is for the big 'ole nut (1 & 5/6ths inch) that retains the pitman arm on a Saginaw power steering gearbox.

Thanks much!

Alan

Torque spec range is 170-210, I usually go for 190...I would also check it again during or after a trail run...The material on a new pitman may take a little wiggling to fully seat, which is why I recommend checking the torque a few times after the install...

Hi all,

Thanks Messix, I tightened it up with the impact gun, but want to be sure it is at the correct spec.

Regards,

Alan

Hi all,

Thanks zukkev, much appreciated!

In this case, I removed the stock pitman arm from the PS gearbox to ream-out the TRE hole for a larger rod end. But it is always a good idea to re-check the torque on a fastener that has been replaced recently.

Regards,

Alan

Torque spec range is 170-210, I usually go for 190...I would also check it again during or after a trail run...The material on a new pitman may take a little wiggling to fully seat, which is why I recommend checking the torque a few times after the install...

Hi all,

Thanks Messix, I tightened it up with the impact gun, but want to be sure it is at the correct spec.

Regards,

Alan

Just get it REAL tight and then check it often for awhile and keep it tight as fawk.

PLEASE dont beat up your steering boxes guts with that impact gun! Kthanx!

24" breaker bar and pull like hell should get you close to 160-200 ftlbs unless your a skinny scrawny **** like rick :haha: then you'd only get ;bout 50 ftlbs

Do NOT use an impact to tighten the nut....Choppy said it already. The gearbox innards may get pissed....DO use a torque wrench though---You'll be surprised how little effort obtaining 200 ft lbs takes when using a long enough torque wrench. I can attest that obtaining 600 ft lbs is a whole nuther story tho! :redneck: Do NOT use a cheater pipe on a shorter torque wrench...

We had 1000 ft. pound click stop torque wrenches in the service for tightening the main rotor retaining nut (i.e. Jesus Nut) on a Huey. Since the top of the aircraft always seemed to have hydraulic fluid on it at that stage of the game, it usually took several brutes on the wrench to get to 700 foot pounds.

and thats a clean dry spec..... if its crusty or oily clean it first...
a few small drops of blue on both the splines and threads is also a good idea for a trail beater..

put a long breaker bar on the nut.. and wedge or strap it to the spring or frame and use the gear reduction of the steering box by reefing on the steering wheel...:haha:

Hi all,

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll put the torque wrench on it, and add it to the list of items to double-check on the rig! :D

Regards,

Alan